News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

where are the best hobby stores

Started by ironlake, June 12, 2012, 10:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

to get the best prices on bachmann g scale.

Chuck N

Get hold of a recent issue of Garden Railway Magazine and start calling some of the venders that sell Bachmann for their stock availability and current prices.

Don't waste your time with email or the websites.  You need to talk to them to find out if it is in stock and how much.  Most web sites are not up to date on inventory.

armorsmith

Ironlake,

To get the best prices is asking a lot.  There really is not one vendor that will always have the best price.  I own some of almost all of the major manufacturers and have bought from a large selection of vendors.  The real question is which is more important, price or service.  I don't care how cheap a shop's price is, if it takes me months to get my product with my funds in his pocket, i don't go back (unless it is a pre-order or something like that).

You will also find that hobby shop A will have the best price on what you are looking for this time, and next time you get a price for that same shop, he will be the highest price you get.  Buying large scale trains from hobby shops, either brick and mortar, or internet is like buying a car.  You gotta shop around.

If I am buying from a brick and mortar, it will be because I am standing in the store and the item is in my hands.  Internet is a different story.  When internet shopping, I have a process I follow.  First I look to see if there is a physical address on the vendor's web site.  If there is not a physical address, I don't care if he is 50% below the next guy, I aint buyin' from him.  If there is a physical, then I go the the Better Business Bureau site and give them a looking at (assuming this is the first time I am dong business with this site).  I don't look for a squeaky clean record (although it helps), but rather how have the complaints been handled.  I don't believe any business that has been around any length of time will not have complaints.  If they past my 'satisfactory complaint gauge' (no way to give this a quantitative value - just gut feeling), then I call them and talk to people there.  Again this is gauged by gut feeling.  This has worked for me successfully for the last 10 years dealing on the internet, and not only with trains.

I know I did not give you a simple answer, but it is one I believe works to get the best 'VALUE'  in the purchase.

Happy Railroading!

Bob C.

emjayw

Try TheFavoriteSpot.com  They're near me in North Texas and I made the drive to their shop during the winter to check them out.  Mostly just a warehouse with lots of Bachmann G scale sets and rolling stock on the shelves. (at the time)  I've ordered from them twice either e-mailing for specific product info or just using the website.  I haven't been disappointed yet.  Fast service and a good price.  You'll have to e-mail them to find out any specifics but if it's on the website, they've got it in stock.   Mike in TX

Loco Bill Canelos

Trainworld is a good store and mail order as well, some of the lowest prices around and good service.

If you need valuable advice on anything Large scale including sound and RC then I highly recommend RLDhobbies.com Robbie has an 800 number any he usually answers personally.  He has saved me from buying the wrong thing more than once.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!