News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-10-2 n scale spectrum loco

Started by Shawn in Virginia, June 24, 2012, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn in Virginia

I got one of these about a month ago, and thought I would give a critique on it.  To me, this the best steam loco that
Bachmann has put out.  The detail is really top notch, and it looks really good.  What impressed me the most, is it's
running characteristics.  All of the wheels are in gauge, (a definite improvement), and the gearing is prototipicly low,
makeing for a very realistic speed.  The pulling power is really great,(I've pulled 22 cars on level track) so it looks good
pulling a train.  The on-board decoder is truly backwards compatible, as I'm dc only, and have had no trouble with it.
The biggest drawback is the couplers.  They are too big, and mounted too high.  High enough that they had to be lowered just so it could pull a train.  Once that was done, no complaints.  All in all, great job to Bachmann, you have
a true winner in this one.  By all means keep it up. 

PEANUTS

Hi Shawn;
I have just ordered the same loco, together with a sound decoder...Have taken your thoughts on hand. My model train club, ( Ipswich, Qld Australia. ) are concentrating on modular layouts, DCC control.  Sound will be terrific..Will keep you all posted.

Peanuts, Moorooka. Brisbane. Aust

PEANUTS

Hi Shawn;

2-10-2 landed here in Brisbane..Friend added sound decoder..Have spent Sunday at Ipswich Model train Club running in, without too much load..All OK
Peanuts

Paradise275

Peanuts, what sound decoder dit your friend install and how?

PEANUTS

Sorry for the delay;

Sound decoder is a MRC N 1956, Universal 16-bit for steam locos...Though sound could have been more robust...works well at home, hard to hear at a train show.  For some unknown reason, either loco or tender is causing a short on my Club's DCC modular layout. ( worked just fine a few days earlier on a home layout. )  Is away from me at the moment being checked out...will let you know how examination goes.

Peanuts