News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Re-Lettering a GP9

Started by traindude109, June 26, 2012, 11:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traindude109

Hi all,

I want to re-letter a Bachmann GP9 and was wondering if the roadnames/logos on these locos are painted on or are decals themselves. Additionally what is the bast way to remove them? Thanks in advance for any help!
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

wjstix

I'm sure the "Bach-man" will know for sure, but usually pre-lettered model railroad stuff is pad-printed. I find using Walthers Solva-set and a rubber pencil eraser (or just the eraser on the end of a pencil) works well for removing factory-applied lettering. Just be patient, put on a little Solva-set, erase for a little while, another few drops of Solva-set, erase a little more etc. Eventually the lettering sort of disolves and is easily erased away. I find it works best to do a small area at a time.

Doneldon

dude-

The critical issue here is patience. This will go pretty well if you take your time and give the solvent an opportunity to do its job. Rush at your own peril. That said, you might also try different solvents. Some folks use Goo Gone. Some use brake fluid though I wouldn't take the chance of disolving my model. Whatever you do, use a gloss finish to prepare the area for your new decals and then cover them with Dull Kote or something similar.
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on June 27, 2012, 01:35:04 PM
dude-

The critical issue here is patience. This will go pretty well if you take your time and give the solvent an opportunity to do its job. Rush at your own peril. That said, you might also try different solvents. Some folks use Goo Gone. Some use brake fluid though I wouldn't take the chance of dissolving my model. Whatever you do, use a gloss finish to prepare the area for your new decals and then cover them with Dull Kote or something similar.
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

I have used brake fluid for years to remove paint from plastic bodies with absolutely no problems whatsoever.  However, brake fluid may strip the paint completely from the model.  That's what I use brake fluid for.  I completely immerse the model in a large jar filled with fluid and leave it overnight.  Next day the paint just peels away and I use a toothbrush to get into the cracks and crevices.  Final task is to thoroughly wash the body in warm water and then let air dry.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The majority of our graphics are pad printed.
I have had good results with Scale Coat paint remover.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NuthinDragginOwt

Another way to do it is, with a #13, or similar exacto knife blade. The biggest rules of thumb, light pressure, and patience. A #13 is a curved blade. The way to do this is to hold the blade that is it exactly vertical, and just slowly scrape the blade over the lettering. You almost virtually let the blade lay on the lettering, adding little to almost no pressure on it. This especially works good on bachmann models as models I used this technique on, had lettering that more or less "chipped off" after a few minutes.

I know there maybe a few nay sayers to this technique, but if you want to remove lettering from a bachmann model, this is yet another method, and if done properly, will leave no marks. Modelers who rush to do this, or add too much pressure can damage the finish. I have used this method on bachmann's E33s, GP30s, and SD45s myself.

The other alternative, start with an undecorated model and paint it. I would like to see Bachmann's GP7s and 9s, along with their RS3 offered undecorated, as they are great models for the price and ease of availability at hobby stores.
Ryan