News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What decoder for...

Started by gouda, June 27, 2012, 05:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gouda

I have a "N" MDT diesel switcher in Burlington livery. What Bachmann decoder should I use with it? Or another brand?  Don't care bout sound to much.

Thanks

skipgear

None that I know of will fit it. I am pretty sure that loco is 100% solid frame under the shell.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

termite

Seadowns, one problem with that link, it doesn't explain how it was done. Was any of the weight removed to make room for the decoder? Pictures are nice, but explanations to go with them are better. I also see what appears to be a pinched area on the orange wire, cutting into the insulation, that could cause problems down the road.

Alan

seadowns

Well, you are right, without explan. and experience in decoderizing non-DCC-ready locos is it not an easy job, but on the other hand is it not more difficult than a non-ready atlas diesel engine.
Here's the parts diagram:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/60052.pdf
As you can see was it not correct what skipgear said:
As every newer Bachmann loco has this MDT a plit frame and you can pull track current from each of the two frame halves. The motor has to separate from the frames and red and grey wire is to atach to the motor contacts, red and black to the frames and that was it.
To check the space available for a decoder I usually use good old kids putty, put a reasonably ball on the body and place the shell back on it. After removing the shell again I can measure the putty.
If the decoder is a bit to fat for the space I would think some strokes with a file over the body will do it.
Gouda, your nick lets me think you are dutch?
If I'm right you can get by a handful of european DCC decoders which are much smaller than this TCS thingy.
I hope this will help you back on track!

Regards
Mathi