News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc on a dcc layout

Started by aero_nautical, July 04, 2012, 03:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aero_nautical

I have a DCC Spectrum layout with the wireless command controller. My grandson wants me to get a Thomas engine which is not DCC.

The question is: can I use the Bachmann Thomas locomotive with my DCC Spectrum layout?

Jerrys HO

aero,

I know DC can run on DCC as I run mine with the EZ Command with address 10.
From what you posted it sounds like you have the Dynamis controller which I don't know if it uses the #10 address for DC loco's or not. Check the manual and see if there is an address key available.
Do not leave your DC loco's sit idle on a DCC track as it will fry your loco. When I set mine idle I use a siding that I can control the power to with a toggle switch.

Jerry

I read the manual of the dynamis system and it only run's DCC

GN.2-6-8-0

I think he meant address o for running a Dc loco on a DCC layout
You can do this with some DCC systems.
Rocky Lives

aero_nautical

YES, it is the Dynamis system.

Does that mean I can or cannot run little Thomas for my grandson. I was a bit confused by the replies.

Thank You for your help fellas.

richg

Quote from: aero_nautical on July 04, 2012, 06:16:00 PM
YES, it is the Dynamis system.

Does that mean I can or cannot run little Thomas for my grandson. I was a bit confused by the replies.

Thank You for your help fellas.

From Jerrys HO a couple messgaes back.

I read the manual of the dynamis system and it only run's DCC

Your system must have come with a manual.

Rich

Jhanecker2

If worse comes to worse you probably could convert the "Thomas " engine to a DCC engine by installing a decoder .  Or better yet have a competent Technician  convert it.  J2.

richg

A couple people in the Bachmann forums have done a decoder in a Thomas loco. As a guess, do a search of the General, HO and Thomas forums in the search page. Try Thomas dcc or Thomas decoder.
You will need some soldering experience though.

Rich

Doneldon

aero-

The Dynamis will not operate a DC locomotive. I suggest that you get an inexpensive decoder so your grandson can run his trains with yours. A motion and lights only decoder is an easy install. Or, you could do a sound install so he'd have that feature, too, but it might be hard to find a decoder with the European whistles he hears on the TtTE videos. Whatever you do, good luck.
                                   -- D

richg

I did a Google search for Bachmann Thomas DCC install and below is one link. It is not plug and play. No idea if anyone in your area does DCC installs.

http://tinyurl.com/csbfndo

Rich

aero_nautical

Thanks to all of you...I should be able to install the decoder myself

Have a nice day

Jerrys HO

aero,

Just another idea for you. You could purchase a EZ Command as they are pretty cheap for a starter system and when your grandson visits just swap controller's and then you can run both. Just as I said before be careful running DC loco's for long periods or leaving them idle. The perfect solution is to install a decoder.

Jerry