News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

pilot wheels coming off track

Started by botangles, July 04, 2012, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botangles

I have a small outdoor layout, 40'x 15' and this year I added the Bachmann plastic pier set, to change it from an all flat layout. I only run an "Annie" 4-6-0, one year old as my only Loco. Never had an issue of the pilot wheels derailing before on a flat surface, but now when it comes off the pier the Loco goes into a curve right away ( space issue ) and the pilot wheels flip off the track. Should I add weight to the front pilot wheels, do you think that would help. I can buy these 1/4 oz. stick on weights from the LHS. Thought I would ask the pros before buying the weights. Thanks.

Chuck N

Add some weight, or see if a spring can be added to the suspension system.

Chuck

NarrowMinded

This was just dicussed about 10 posts down the page.

One thing I will add, that is not in the other post, is to make sure your first curve is not also the first level piece of track and to make sure none of the tracks have a drastic angle from grade to level at the joiners/connections, also make sure your track peices are not moving from the weight of the train.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20869.0.html

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

It is the track that is the problem and is made worse by the immediate curve.  weight might help, but you need to make absolutely sure you track is level from side to side, and you need lengthen the space between the piers to reduce the angle where the track transitions from the grade to the track.  If one rail is even slightly lower than the other on the curve you can expect derailments.  Think of it this way, If your loco never derailed til you put the piers in and changed the track,  you can count on it being a track problem!!  I was wondering if you have the latest Annie with the new floating pilot truck or the older version which slides in the slot??

Best of luck.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

botangles

I added 1/4 oz. of weight to 4 different places on the pilot wheels, the Loco would made the curve sometimes but still come off the track at a higher speed. A curved piece was the first track off the pier and the front pilot wheels are the ones that slide in a curved slot with a spring in the center post. So I had enough with derailments and expanded the layout 3 feet longer to accomodate 3 pieces of straight track after the pier, took a bit of work but fun, problem solved. Layouit is now 43'x15' and everything looks and runs great, no derailments. Thanks for all suggestions and advice, greatly appreciated. W.B.W.

jsmvmd

Howdy Bill and Bo,

Not having front truck problems, I can only sympathise.  That being said, I have a Q for Bill.  What about adding a small straight section on the diverging portion of the turnout? Is that what Bo means when he says "pier?"  Some of the guys on the HO side suggest that.

Too, Bo, have you looked at BBT's recommendation to fix the older Annie's front truck, as re-iterated by George Schreyer?

Best to all.  Jack in Altoona

P.S. Lots of freight has been moving through here recently, which is good for rail fanning.  If you folks ever get out thisaway, give me a call for a cup of Joe and some choo choo talk.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bo,

Glad it all worked out oK!!

Hi Jack, Good to hear you are getting some running in!!

I don't follow your question about the track,  Bo would have to elaborate on that one. I have never found it necessary to have a straight section on a diverging route.  As per real RR practice slowing down thru a diverging turnout is normal, except for modern high speed switches, something we can't really have on our layouts.  Curves on a grade. or at the top or bottom of a grade must be very carefully leveled both side to side and along the length.

I am one of those who has never added weight to my 4-6-0 front trucks, or modified them.  I just used lube in the slot and made sure the wire leads were out of the way.  Whenever I start having derailments, I immediately check the track for side to side level, especially on curves, and for bulges or dips especially at joints or the start and end of a grade.  I do this for three feet before and after the derailment site.  I use a four foot level to make sure any change in grade is very gentle. Taking time to do this has always solved the problem. Those who run trains outside, must do regular track maintenance, to overcome the harsh effects of mother nature.  Our trains are either 1:22.5 or 1:20.3 and the effects of a big storm are much tougher on our trains than the Big guy's full scale RR's will ever be.  Most little storms are big ones to us ;D
Bottom Line:
If the train has been running perfectly and suddenly starts derailing at a particular spot it is always the track.  If it derails fresh out of the box it could be bad wheel gauge, bad wheels, bad driver quartering, or bad track and on the Bachmann 4-6-0 front truck a dry slot or wires in the way. 

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!