News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Madison Cars

Started by M1FredQ, July 11, 2012, 10:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Looking to find out if Diesel pulled those Madison passenger cars or was it just

steamers.

Have a chance to pick up some really nice PRR Tuscan Red Madison Passenger cars

did the GG-1 pull them?

Thanks in advance

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

M1FredQ

Dear Joe

A BIG  BIG  THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the link above and I am very appreciative.

I like all the rail lines you mentioned and have a special liking

for ACL.  Its probably the Purple colors they used.

I can still get the PRR units but not so sure about ACL but I don't

mind hunting for items it's a lot of fun!!!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Thought you might enjoy:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/joebarb/scan.jpg

From K-line 2000 First Edition Catalog.  (Upper 1/3 of page 65 is cropped out.)

Caught my eye back when colors meant more to me than getting close to the prototype.....

The pair must have been stump pullers as each unit had 2 motors and 4 axle drive.    (4 motors, 8 axles, 16 wheels driven...!)

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

M1FredQ

Thanks Joe

What a treat to see all the ACL color!!!!

At least I know it was done !!!!

M1FredQ

Hey Joe

I reread that link  you posted above and  the last sentence refers to Seaboard Coast Line.

Do you have any reference I can go to,to see what those passenger cars looked like ??

Thanks !!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Google "Seaboard Coast Line Passenger Cars".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

M1FredQ

Dear Joe

I googled and where i eventually came up was at

www.american-rails.com

It is an incredible web site of information about nearly all the rail lines.

It had a section on Fallen flags where there were good overviews of any of

the rail lines. In was Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Coast Line. The only

thing missing were the colour schemes of the passenger cars. Throughout the articles

are small 1-2 minute videos. It is worth a look at for any rail line someone may be

interested in.

I'll keep looking for colour schemes and post what I come up with when I find it!!!

TrainmanGene

Heavyweight cars were used on some Class A railroads well into the 60's possibly into the 70's on clockers and other trains.
Sueme Valley System

M1FredQ

Thanks trainman Gene

I suddenly have found documentation that backs up Madison cars being pulled by Diesel F-3's etc!!!!!

The pullmans were fantastic they had a/c even in the 1930's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comfortable couch chairs that you could snooze in. Why it reminds me of the scene in the

original Planet of the Apes when Cornelius tells Dr Zeius," The older culture was the more

advanced culture!!!!" It seems like passengers had great comforts years ago more so than today!

phillyreading

Not sure if they are Madison cars, but a few of the passenger cars on the California Zepher had some nice features. I went to the Gold coast railroad museum in south Miami and went through the California Zepher train on display, very comfortable passenger cars and an observation car, even went upstairs in the Vista Dome car. You would almost think that you were in somebody's house and not a passenger car.
The well to do had some nice features in their private passenger cars, even a bathtub, on the presidential train car.

Also went to see Henry M. Flagler's, the man who built FEC, private passenger car, very nice for the time period it is from.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

The PRR, RF&P, and the ACL ran joint passenger trains to Fllorida.  So it is possible to have ACL cars behind a GG1

Burning a odd snow which shorted out the G's along the NEC, PRR leased RF&P E units to runn passenger trains under the wires!

stationmaster12

Dear M1FredQ,
I too love the ACL  purple. I know WBB makes a stunning set of E units and passenger cars. However those that K-Line did in 2000 are very nice. I think you might have a bit of friendly competition hunting these cars down..LOL
Keep God first in all that you do.

M1FredQ

Dear Lee

Next month I head down to Ft Lauderdale for my medical conferences.

Where is that train museam in Miami!!!!!!  My friend down there has a son same age as my

train loving son and we have some spare time we would like to check that train museam out!!

Thanks in advance.

I leave November 1st!!!!!!!

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on October 08, 2012, 12:32:13 PM
Dear Lee

Next month I head down to Ft Lauderdale for my medical conferences.

Where is that train museam in Miami!!!!!!  My friend down there has a son same age as my

train loving son and we have some spare time we would like to check that train museam out!!

Thanks in advance.

I leave November 1st!!!!!!!

Fred,

The museum is the Gold Coast Railroad Museum and it is on S.W. 152nd St. near the Miami Metro Zoo. You go in the same entrance off of S.W. 152nd St.
From either US 1 or I-95 you make a right turn onto S.W. 152nd St. and go out almost ten miles, that is when coming south from Ft. Lauderdale, about 55 miles south of Ft. Lauderdale.
FYI; I-95 ends in south Miami near S.W. 98th St, so you must take either US 1 or the turnpike extension; a.k.a. HEFT(Homestead Extension of Florida Turnpike).
You can take exit 47A when going south on the turnpike, that is the exit for the Homestead extension and bypasses downtown Miami.

Lee F.