News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

040 side rod gas

Started by Tonyaus, July 14, 2012, 06:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyaus

Hello forum, I have 0n30 040 side rod gas mechanical loco that has split a gear, reading the forums I find that I could remove that gear and just run on one, but the question is, is there any of the Bachmann H0 locos that run the same underframes / gear that I could use.

Tomcat

Hi there Tonyaus,

when I got it right, there is no other Bachmann engine which shares the gear with the 0-4-0 side rod gas-mech. Why not get a replacement from the Bachmann folks? Meanwhile ´til this will arrive run her on one geared axle which will work.

Cheers, Tom

Anubis

I agree with Tom.

Bachmann sell spare parts for their locos, including the Gas Mech. Just purchase a new drive axle set.

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

railtwister

Quote from: Anubis on July 15, 2012, 04:31:52 PM
I agree with Tom.

Bachmann sell spare parts for their locos, including the Gas Mech. Just purchase a new drive axle set.

If only it were so easy. Unfortunately, the drive axles are listed as out of stock on Bachmann's website, which is probably why Bachmann has been sending out notices to people who have returned their locos for service, that they cannot be repaired, but may be replaced with the Porter 0-4-0 if the customer is willing. The question is, are the axle gears on the Porters any less likely to crack than the ones on the Gas Mechanicals? It's a shame that things like the gears can't be made as standard parts that would fit many locos, which could justify maintaining an inventory for repair purposes.

Bill in FtL

NarrowMinded

in all the years of Steam porters being out I have not heard of them having a gear issue including the ones I run for hours and hours.

NM-Jeff

Tomcat

As Jeff said, I could say the same: The Porters never had any kind of mechanical issues, they had electric picup problems - the first 0-4-0´s, while the 0-4-2´s never had to face poor electric pickup. But they never suffered anything mechanical or gearing problems.

Maybe they will get a makeover soon...?

Cheers, Tom

Anubis

I apologise for my error.

I had no idea that the Gas Mech parts were out of stock. I haven't visited the Bachmann site for months.

I have four of these little things, and they all run without fault.

Looks like I had better take it easy with them.

^_^

As I recall, Bachmann removed the little DC Porters from their catalogue while they were re-vamping them up to the DCC and DCC / Sound versions.

Maybe this is what they are now doing with the Gas Mech.........? ??? ???

John

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession