News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-4-2

Started by darryl1936, August 06, 2012, 11:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

Now here is a loco that will fit my needs as long as they don't have the problems of the running gears etc.  Of course I will have to wait until the beta testers have tried the engine out.  Might even buy two of these engines if the reports are good.

And then find a decent street price.

TOF in Oregon

Stevelewis

I am  sure  that  one  or  two will find  a home  on mmy  layout  over  here in the UK
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

darryl1936

I hope you will find one or two that is reasonably priced too.  Cheers  TOF in Oregon

Rich R

Amen to that! The best I could find was $324.95 without sound (which I wouldn't purchase anyway) and that was from a well known discount seller.
Another discounter which we all know and love has the 2-6-6-2 on sale now, in the same configuration for less than $150.00
Is the 2-4-4-2 an entirely new locomotive and not a rework on the 2-6-6-2 chassis?
Time for a reality check on my hobby expenditures I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Rich R

Stevelewis

According  to  Favouritespot Ebay  site  4  versions  of the  2-4-4-2  are  available now  ( and  also the  the Tsunami  plug in sound  module)  Loco is  priced  at $315 BIN  ( thats  £200 our  money over  here)

Does any one in the USA  know if the  dealer  actually  has  stock?

railtwister

The Favorite Spot doesn't put items on Ebay if they are not in stock. He also has a website that isn't part of Ebay, so if you are considering the "Buy-it-Now" option, check their website first, usually both the item price and cost of shipping are cheaper than they would be on Ebay's BIN price. Also don't forget to check other vendors (such as John Weigel and MicroMark) for pricing.

Also remember that all of the 2-4-4-2's are sold with DCC?DC decoders installed at the factory, and the sound option (available at extra cost), is a sound only board that the user must install after purchase. If you plan to wait until the sound comes installed from the factory, you'll likely be waiting a very long time!

Bill in FtL

Stevelewis

Thanks  for  the  info  Bill,  I  do deal  occasionally  with  Favspot  and  with  Micromark  for  several  years,  and  I  am   'au fait'  with  the   digital  set  up  / sound  application  etc,

I am  waiting  for  a reply  from  Favspot  to  confirm  stock is  actually  available, I was prompted  to  ask  the  question  as  since  the  2-4-4-2 was  listed  on Micro Mark's website  it was noted  as  being  a BACKORDER item  not yet in stock. That is the  situation with that retailer as of 15th. August.

I have   actually  been  a  0n30 modeller  for  many  years, in fact  since  the  first  items  were  produced!! back in 19??! the launch of the streetcar (tram)  and  the 2-6-0 causing  quite a  stir over  here and promting the  construction of many narrow  gauge  layouts, these  days   though I dont  think the popularity is so great, being affected  by  many diverse  factors, such as high prices  and   the  recession,

The  strange  aspect  of  the  2-4-4-2  launch  is  the  fact  that  over  here, no retailer appears  to  have  any idea  of  the  locos  introduction, having not  been  able  to  gain  any  info  from Bachmann Europe here  in  the UK,  wheras  I buy many items  for  0n30   ( & H0) from the  States  I prefer  to  buy  locos from UK  retailers  just in case  there  is  a problem,  ( as there was  with a new  Shay I bought a couple of  weeks  back  which  was totally  sealed  in its  box when delivered  to  me, but did not run  as  it  had at  least 3  split gears!)

Steve

mabloodhound

$277 US here: http://www.peterbororr.com/store/   John Weigel is a very active On30 retailer and modeler.   An excellent place to buy (I have no connection)
Also lists new sound module for $63.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

rayport

Check the sale items 2 - 5 at Peterboro there the prices only $248.

Stevelewis

Quote from: rayport on August 15, 2012, 11:00:08 AM

I have  been in touch  with  them,  stock is 'expected' next  week.

mabloodhound

Quote from: rayport on August 15, 2012, 11:00:08 AM

It isn't $248, it is SAVE $248 off list price.   $277 is sale price.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

NarrowMinded

I can wait to find out how tight a curve these will take... I really like this loco but due to space cannot build a layout with large curves

NM-Jeff

Stevelewis

Re  Minimum  radius  for  the 2-4-4-2 Mallet,  I think   that  you  should  be  OK  down to 18" radius comfortably.

One of the  layouts  I run  has  some  16" radius  hidden  curves  and  my   2-6-6-2s  have  no problem  with  those

traingeek

The mallets have landed !!! Micromark has them on their website as in stock.  Pricier than Peterboro however.

Stevelewis

For  those  in  the  UK/Europe  Dave  at   Tower-Models  Blackpool  has  just  phoned  to  say  that  the  2-4-4-2s are  due to be delivered  there tomorrow  August 22nd,  Sound modues  to follow.