Steptoe Valley #3........A childhood memory engine

Started by Trains Again, February 10, 2007, 02:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trains Again

Today, I was looking back on some of my old home videos that had been recorded when I was 6 years old at Niles Canyon Railway. If anybody is familure with this tourist line, they used to have a little 0-4-0 steam engine called Steptoe Valley #3. I used to ride that engine a lot when I was a little kid, and even got a cab ride from it once. Unfortunately, it has been torn apart for about 8 years now, and has never been rebuilt back up. But I used to really remember that engine as a childhood memory, and really miss it.

I am wondering if Bachmann can produce this engine?  Here is the picture:

brad

One of my fondest childhood memories is the years we lived in Whitehorse, Yukon. Some relatives were up to visit from Ontario and both our families set out to tour the Yukon and Alaska, 9 people in an 1977 Suburban (basiscally a big tin box back then) We stopped in Dawson City for 3 or 4 days to tour around the gold fields and the town. Across the road from the RCMP station where we camped) was a bunch of little steam engines that we played on for hours every day. I remember them being partly stripped of gauges, levers etc, but they were a lot of fun to play on just sitting in the park. Only when I got back into MRing did I realise how cool that was, being 10 and being able to play on old WP&YR locos. I have a bunch of black and white photos I took on my old Kodak Instamatic, the ones that took the 135 film insert, remember those? I also have a picture of all five kids sitting IN the chain links of the boom arm on a gold dredge outside Dawson.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Trains Again

That is really neat. I remember playing on those kind of things when I was a little kid.

Accept the one I talked about up above used to run. Which is why it would be nice to have an HO version of the engine above. See even if the real one doesn't run anymore, I would be still able to at least run a model of it.

Trains Again

ddellacca

Trains,

I lived in Livermore for 20 years before retirement, and drove thru Niles Canyon several times. Really fine scenery and some of the railroad
bridges, etc, were more than interesting.
I never had the pleasure of riding the Niles Canyon Railway, nor was I lucky
enough to see the engine in your picture.

Where was the picture taken? I don't recognize the location.

Dick

Trains Again

Quote from: ddellacca on February 12, 2007, 04:57:15 PM
Trains,

I lived in Livermore for 20 years before retirement, and drove thru Niles Canyon several times. Really fine scenery and some of the railroad
bridges, etc, were more than interesting.
I never had the pleasure of riding the Niles Canyon Railway, nor was I lucky
enough to see the engine in your picture.

Where was the picture taken? I don't recognize the location.

Dick

Not sure where it was taken. I found the picture online.

Trains Again

But anyway, I'm wondering if Bachmann or Bachmann Spectrum would consider producing this engine?

chucknlead

Quote from: brad on February 10, 2007, 09:59:48 AM
One of my fondest childhood memories is the years we lived in Whitehorse, Yukon. Some relatives were up to visit from Ontario and both our families set out to tour the Yukon and Alaska, 9 people in an 1977 Suburban (basiscally a big tin box back then) We stopped in Dawson City for 3 or 4 days to tour around the gold fields and the town. Across the road from the RCMP station where we camped) was a bunch of little steam engines that we played on for hours every day. I remember them being partly stripped of gauges, levers etc, but they were a lot of fun to play on just sitting in the park. Only when I got back into MRing did I realise how cool that was, being 10 and being able to play on old WP&YR locos. I have a bunch of black and white photos I took on my old Kodak Instamatic, the ones that took the 135 film insert, remember those? I also have a picture of all five kids sitting IN the chain links of the boom arm on a gold dredge outside Dawson.

brad

How about some pictures!
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

the Bach-man

Dear Gordon,
We'd consider any engine, but that doesn't mean it would be made. There are several projects in the pipeline, but I'll forward the photo.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Trains Again

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 15, 2007, 12:38:22 AM
Dear Gordon,
We'd consider any engine, but that doesn't mean it would be made. There are several projects in the pipeline, but I'll forward the photo.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ok. Thank you very much :)