News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is the difference now?

Started by SteamGene, August 03, 2007, 09:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've read about the changes in the old Standard design and looked at the NKP and C&O 2-8-4 and I'm wondering what, exactly, is now the difference between "Standard" and "Spectrum." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

cmgn9712

Gene I was thinking about this last night. I think the perceived difference is mostly fantasy. First, the same item is rarely made in both lines.  I believe thew difference is the price point Bachmann intends to sell the item at. It's like the difference between a Chevy and Cadillac. You think you are getting more, but both will get  you to work on time.  Is the Cadillac better? Maybe. It may look better, will cost you more, and makes you feel better.  Bachmann QC even on Spectrum has always been suspect.  I now think Bachmann takes an elitist attitude with the Spectrum line - you will feel better about spending more money for the more expensive item. On the other hand, with the new Berks, Bachmann is appealing to the masses - everybody can afford one!

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
In this case, the Berkshire has more cast-on detail than a typical Spectrum loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Is that true of the Kanawha too?  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Mr. B....

Besides the amount of cast on detail.....how different is the drive train between the standard and Spectrum steam engines?    Are they all being made with the belt drive now?

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

B-Man;
One of the 2-10-2s I bought-which i have just taken out of the box, seems to have a problem: In foward, there is a clicking sound, and the engine does not move, or moves weakly.  I attribute that to a bad gear.  I would like to send it in for repair.  How?
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Craig

Quote from: ebtbob on August 04, 2007, 06:59:10 AM
Mr. B....

Besides the amount of cast on detail.....how different is the drive train between the standard and Spectrum steam engines?    Are they all being made with the belt drive now?

Bob

I. too, would like to know how the mechanism of this new offering compares to the Spectrum machanism.

brad

Rich,

You have a cracked gear, a CRONIC problem on 2-10-2s I sent mine back for a new one also. Click on the service link @ the bottom of the home page and give service a call. You'll talk to a very nice lady who's name escapes me and she'll give you shipping directions.

brad

PS One of the side gears stripped on my Shay last week, looks like it'll be going in for service too. I thought I got one that had good gears, guess not :'(

I drempt, I planned, I'm building

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The berks have a gear tower and flywheel.
Have fun!
the Bach-man