News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams NW2

Started by Cobrabob8, August 19, 2012, 11:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrabob8

Yesterday I purchased my newest WbB locomotive, a B&O NW2. What a nice piece! It has dual motors and pulls like a much bigger diesel would!! I believe this makes 5 Williams locomotives on my O Gauge roster. Congratulations Bachmann Industries on such nice trains! Thank you!
Cobrabob.
Santa FE F3 A-B-A
C&O BL2
Pennsylvania FA A-A
Pennsylvania 4-6-4 Jr. Hudson
B&O NW2

"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

M1FredQ

I also have the B&O NW-2. I am amazed at how powerful it is!!!!

Also can you share some information about your layout?

I like the set up and how did you construct the "legs"?

I am disassembling the current  set up we have now and am looking for some ideas

Thanks in advance

Fred Q

M1FredQ

Also Photo  #4

Where did you get that building??

I like the 3 Stooges picture on the wall

I think the Train Room should be a total fun room

for mental health breaks!!!!!!!!!

tsched

Thanks for posting those nice pictures!

phillyreading

Bob,

That last photo looks like the Santa Fe El Capitan set that I bought about 11 years ago from a freind in Stuart FL. It has F-7 A-B-A diesels for power, two powered A units, I powered the second A unit because for me one A unit just would not pull my six passenger cars.
Also I have three powered SD-45's by Williams and a GP-9. Have not had to get my Williams engines repaired, except to replace a circuit board because I didn't like the way it started up.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

Fred,
The table is constructed with a frame work made of 1x4's and the legs are 2x4's screwd together in an "L" shape. The table top is 1/2 inch plywood. The table is very sturdy and can easily support my weight if I have to climb on top of it for any reason. The layout measures 8'6" x 13'10". I did not use any sound deadener (foam board or homosote) and sometimes I wish I would have. The table is built in three sections which can come apart should I decide to move and bring the layout along.
       The track is all Lionel FasTrack which has performed flawlessly in the 3-1/2 years since the track work was finished. The layout is in a "U" shape. There are three independant loops. Two upper level loops and one lower level loop. All curves are of 036 diameter on the bottom level. The upper level loops are mainly 048 and 060 diameter with an exception of 036 on the curves at the center of the "U".
      The building in the fourth photo is an MTH switch tower which I purchased a few years back. Most of my structure are from MTH, some are Lionel or Plasticville. The scenry is progressing slowly, what little there is. I like to go down to my train room after a hard day of work and just let the trains run. The decorations around the room on the walls are all train, car or old TV show related. A perfect place to call my own!
Cobrabob.

Cobrabob8

Lee,
I have always loved the Santa Fe F Unit diesels. The A-B-A diesel F3s are by Williams and the seven unit streamline Santa Fe passenger cars are MTH Railking items. I think that together they make a truely beautiful train.
Cobrabob.

Here is a photo of my Lionel Post-War Burlington GP7. You can see some of the scenery which I have started.
And here is my Williams by Bachmann Burlington caboose which I bought to run with my Burlington GP7 instead of my Lionel Lines bay window caboose.

M1FredQ

CobraBob

What an outstanding job!!

I bought a bunch of 3x7 hollow doors that were on sale at Menard's to make a simple

layout.

I originally had plastic horses but they started failing and as the layout grew and we

got more serious I had to have better legs. I like the 2x4 idea in an "L" shape.

I was able to get a bunch of 2x4's and 1x4's from Menard's on their close out rack.

Thanks for sharing. Your timing is great as I planned to do this over the Labor Day weekend.

I was using indoor outdoor carpet to cover but it "sheds". But I do plan to use 1 inch

thick blue foam and screw the Fas-Track down. I can carve out some streams and

build some layered hills. I have lots of left over Camo Green paint  after painting the boys room.

The legs project took me so long. I wish I had taken some carpentry classes when i was in high school. Fortunately a friend who is an architect offered to help after see-

ing your pictures!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyreading

Is there any possibility that Bachmann is going to make other roadnames for the NW-2? Many railroads used this locomotive.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

I think WBB will have a lesser number of roadnames per year, but will rotate the names.

M1FredQ

On a NW-2 did Milwaukee Road ever spell out its name on the "body" of the engine??

Somehow the little red flag logo with Milwaukee Road doesn't seem to cut it although the

orange is a great co;or!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsched

Quote from: M1FredQ on October 27, 2012, 10:06:09 AM
On a NW-2 did Milwaukee Road ever spell out its name on the "body" of the engine??

Somehow the little red flag logo with Milwaukee Road doesn't seem to cut it although the

orange is a great co;or!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.  Love that Milwaukee orange on the NW2 but would be nicer to have "Milwaukee Road" spelled out in black.

My favorite NW2 from WBB is the beautiful blue and orange Seaboard.  I have no Seaboard rolling stock either but am just in love with that roadname/paint scheme on that engine.

tsched

Did a quick Internet search on Milwaukee NW2s.  WBB may have it right.  I found a few pics of real units.  As you can see, just the herald below the cab. 

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=272325

M1FredQ

While doing some research on Atlantic Coast Line I came across Seaboard and of course like

that one too!!!!!!!!!!  I agree a NW-2 in Seaboard would be great!!!!!!!!! Eventually I'll hope to find a

NW-2 and if the price is right I'll get it.

Florida seems to have some great deals. I'll be there next week for a conference and will check

out some of the hobby shops in Ft Lauderdale and then Ft. Myers and Sanabel Island.

Better pickings in Ft Lauderdale usually!!!!!!!!

M1FedQ,

Try Trainland/Trainworld on line. The WbyB NW-2 is on sale $99.99 in selected road names.I bought one awhile ago, NYC roadname. Good runner. NYC is no longer available. Out of Stock.

Good Luck...671