Question for the Bachmann – your policy on sound for new non-Spectrum locos?

Started by Searsport, August 19, 2012, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Dear Mr Bachmann,

On 30 March 2012 in response to a question on sound you said:

"The new sound module setup was initiated with the HO scale EM-1 and the new On30 Heisler. Starting with these two items all Spectrum locomotives will be equipped with a dual mode decoder and a premounted speaker . The user will have the option of purchasing a sound "module" that will mount on this decoder for sound (creating a full SoundTraxx Tsunami). In other words Bachmann will now offer one version of a Spectrum locomotive with an optional sound module available for it. There will no longer be three versions of the same locomotive offered (DCC Ready, DCC on Board or DCC Sound on Board)."

OK, that is clear for Spectrum, but what is the policy for new non-Spectrum locos?  You introduced the S2 in your 2012 NMRA leaflet, but for some railroads they are DCC Ready and for others they have Sound Value.  This seems a change in policy from previous recent non-spectrum locos, e.g. the S4 and the ALCO Mogul, which had both options for each railroad.

To make this specific, if I wanted a Western Pacific S2 with sound, should I be waiting for an inevitable Sound Value version to be released, possibly in vain and see all the DCC ready versions sell out, or buying the DCC Ready version and sourcing my own sound unit, or maybe you will be releasing a Sound Value conversion kit for the DCC ready locos?

The current position seems a bit strange.  If I want a Western Pacific with sound should I feel cursed that there is no Sound Value version, or blessed that I can fit a full-spec Tsunami without being left with a redundant sound value chip?

TIA,
Bill.