News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Figures

Started by Anubis, July 01, 2012, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hello all,

I have just purchased a selection of O scale figures from the Bachmann range, and I have found them to be well-detailed, well-scaled and nicely finished.

I have removed the parting lines from a few of them, and will be repainting and adding further details, but I have had these things soaking in brake fluid for 48 hours now, and it hasn't even looked like softening the paint.   :o

Does anyone out there know what I could use to dissolve this seemingly-impregnable coating?

Thank you.

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

gnfan

Hi,

Have you tried  91% Isopropyl Alcohol?

Check your local pharmacy, drug store or supermarket. I get mine at my local grocery. Don't get anything but the 91% used as an antiseptic. The lower concentrations don't work as paint strippers.

I use 91% to strip paint on models.

David

WoundedBear

Try soaking them overnight in a covered container of Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. Use the strong stuff.....the low fume variety doesn't do the job. Next morning give them a good wash using plain dish soap and a toothbrush to scrub them. I have used this to strip plastic and resin and never had a problem.

Sid

railtwister

Be careful with Easy-off, a friend soaked an older Bachmann HO auto rack in Easy-off to strip the paint, and the plastic absorbed it, swelling to twice it's normal size. Try it on one figure first, just to be safe...

Bill in FL

Anubis

QuoteHi,

Have you tried  91% Isopropyl Alcohol?

Check your local pharmacy, drug store or supermarket. I get mine at my local grocery. Don't get anything but the 91% used as an antiseptic. The lower concentrations don't work as paint strippers.

I use 91% to strip paint on models.

David

Hi there David,

Thanks for the suggestion, but 91% Isopropyl  Alcohol is seemingly unavailable here in Oz. The closest we can get is the 60%, which is obviously, 40% water. This is why it warps timber horribly when I use it for Alcohol and Ink weathering.       >:(

Thanks also to Wounded Bear and railwhistle. I may try Easy-off, as that is available here.

John, in Australia.

NarrowMinded

I've never tried Ez-off on painted plastic but have used it to strip the color of anodized aluminum

NM-Jeff

railsider

John in Oz who cannot find 91% isopropel alcohol..............

1.   try medical suppliers..................

2.   go buy a bottle of vodka .......(no, I'm serious, mate)..............

Railsider

RGS Goose

Hi John in Aust.
I just bought 1 litre of 99.7% IPA from RS Components in Sydney and it cost $24 odd delivered to Central Victoria.
It wouldn't mix with the Indian Ink I had, which was what I bought it for, but it good for cleaning electrical gear anyway, and may do what you want with the paint you are trying to strip.
It is a British product initially, and is labelled "Electrolube!!!", which is what Peco sell to clean track, wheels, etc.
RGS Goose.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=Iso+Propyl+Alcohol+&sra=oss

Anubis

Hi blokes,

Thanks for the comments.

Railslider, thanks for the tip on Vodka, but I thought that 'drinking' spirits in Oz were limited to 40 - 45% concentration of alcohol.  Or, at least my Scotch and Bourbon say so on the labels....  :'(

RGS Goose, it is interesting that you mention the IPA from RS components is not good for mixing with Indian ink.  You have saved me another disappointment.

Just recently, I noticed that Element14 (formerly Farnell) had the 97% stuff too. I decided to purchase some, especially when I found that their splash indicated to me that it was 'post free in Australia'. Then when I got as far as the checkout, they wanted to slug me another $15 for postage, so I cancelled it...

Since then, I have tried Raven Oil in Methylated Spirits (denatured alcohol) and it gives a nice, weathered grey / blue finish.

Of course, it still warps the timber (especially balsa) but it is decidedly cheaper than IPA... ;D

The quest continues...

John