News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 issue

Started by MilwaukeeRoadfan261, August 22, 2012, 11:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The head of the screw holding the draw bar and the back half of the bodyshell on my Spectrum HO scale 2-8-0 is stripped and I can't get it out so I can oil the gears. Any suggestions/ideas on how to get the screw out and would I be able to get a replacement screw?

Doneldon

261-

I'm hoping that you have at least the head sticking out of the loco so you can either grasp it with a pliers or use a Dremel tool to cut a new deep slot. Then you can (very carefully) AC a screwdriver bit to the deep slot and unscrew the stripped screw while gently pulling on it.

Stripped screws are rarely comletely stripped. What happens is that we push in on the screw due to our frustration about getting it out and that pressure actually keeps it from coming out. The solution is to exert some pressure out rather than in. A pliers is the easiest way, if you can get a purchase. If not, your first thought should be to get a fingernail or a thin piece of metal under the head of the screw so you can encourage it to come out while turning the screw counter-clockwise. If that fails you have to either drill a hole in the screw and use a reverse screw to back out the stripped one, or get something on the screw so you can ease it out. The screws in HO locos are really too small to use a reverse screw (I'm not even sure they come small enough) so your last chance is cutting a good size slot and then AC-ing a screwdriver bit to it. Keep in mind that this is a finesse issue, not one of brute force. You will only be successful if you take it easy.

As for a replacement screw, I'm sure you can get one from Bachmann but why not just take the old one to a good hardware store (most definitely NOT a home center) and get one from their specialty screw drawers?

Good luck!
                     -- D

dcpauls

I had the samd  problem with the same locomotive. I purchased a set of percision screw extractor & screwdriver  set  from micro-mark.  It worked great!!

The set is from  " Moody tools inc."  www.moodytools.com

seems as if they have the torque set too high at the manufacturer

dcpauls

Searsport

I had problems with too-tight screws when trying to remove both the loco body and the tender top on the Spectrum MEC 2-8-0.  I got the tender top off, but gave up on the loco for fear of damaging it.  I also had problems when dismantling the non-Spectrum WM 2-8-0 to fit sound.  I suggest that Bachmann should adress this issue in the factory, as the ability to dis-assemble locos is essential for maintenance and for, e.g., fitting DCC and / or sound.

Also, all my Bachmann engines come with detailed parts diagrams, but no dis-assembly sequence.  First time around I often remove a screw only to find that it is not actually the one which secures the body, and need not have been touched.

Off-topic I know, but I also never got an answer to my question about how to remove the boiler domes from the Baldwin 4-4-0 without damaging the loco, in order to fit the old-time alternatives supplied with the model.  If Bachmann supply alternative parts they should also provide instructions on how to use them.  Are these domes glued on, and if so, how strong is the glue?  Can they be removed?  I don't want to destroy an expensive loco in trying the wrong approach.

Bill.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The problem with the screw has just come up recently. I have had the engine for 4 years and I had been able to get the screw out before. But thank you all for the suggestions about what to do.