News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Goose Truck - 82396

Started by charlieoleson, June 10, 2012, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieoleson

My goose truck - 82396 worked fine at Christmas going around the tree. I just tried it outside with the switch on #3 and it is completely dead except for the lights. (I do have track power). I have not installed DCC or done any other messing around. Does anyone have suggestions other than taking it somewhere for repair? I hate to spend $400.00 and have it broken already. I thought my wife bought me "fun" and not "trouble".

charlieoleson

Hey,  I am a simple guy. I took it out of the box and put it on the track. There is still a circuit board in the box. The switch I have under the cover in the truck bed just has 0 1 2 3. I have no remote controls and I don't want them. I just want to apply track power and have it go around my back yard track.

armorsmith

Charlie,

I don't think Jeff meant anything by his questions, however I have one simple question.  There were instructions in the box that cam with the rail truck, did you read through them thoroughly and follow all the 'pre-fight' instructions?  There are several lubrication points that need to be serviced prior to running, were they taken care of?  You mention the board with 0,1, 2, 3 one it.  Do you remember what each of the numbers mean?  I am sure they were covered in the manual.  If the manual was not there, there is a sticky thread here where they can be down loaded, and I believe there is another modeler who also has a site with many of the manuals on it.

Your initial post is sort of like the old song 'My Boomerang won't come back'.  It tells what the issue is with none of the underlying symptoms.  We all here like to help fellow large scaler's, but some times we need additional information about the problem before we can get to the root of the problem.  I also have a rail truck, but it is not DCC ready as yours is, so my configuration is different.  Please elaborate on what each of the four numerical settings stand for.  It will be in the instructions that came with the truck.  This will be a help to answer your question.

Let me close by saying that most large scale power equipment is NOT like the smaller scales.  We generally run in a different environment requiring different maintenance techniques.  I personally own a Bachmann K27 which seems to have a blue million lubrication points - just like the prototype.  Every time I take her out for a spin I spend about an hour going over all the required lubrication points so she will provide me may wonderful years of enjoyment.  Rolling stock is on different.  Journals need lubrication, etc, etc, etc.

Please help us to help you.

Happy Railroading,

Bob C.

Dave

Well said Bob, ya gotta read the instructions!

charlieoleson

Me again.

I am sending this in for repair and I will let you know if it is broken or I am not able to read instructions.

I am no novice but of coarse I could do something stupid. I have had a backyard layout for 15 years and have 8 other engines. I have been to three large scale national conventions with lots of seminars. I have been treasurer and secretary of the Denver Garden Railroad society( DenverGRS.ORG) and a member for 15 years with lots of seminars.  I need to get this fixed before the National Garden Railway Convention in Denver in 2015. Come to Denver and see and ride three of the original "geese" running at the Colorado Railroad Museum (ColoradoRailroadMuseum.org)

charlieoleson

Oh, by the way. The instructions show the switch on the circuit board:

POSITION 0: ALL POWER OFF
POSITION 1: POWER TO LIGHTS
POSITION 2: NMRA/NEM
POSITION 3: LS/G

charlieoleson

The repair department called me and said they did not have the parts on hand. They shipped me a new Goose Truck. It did cost me $40.00 to ship it and $50.00 for the repairs. By the way; there is no manual. This should put an end to the blog!