Need a fellow Bachmann Collector's Opinion please.

Started by Iron Horseman, August 30, 2012, 04:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Horseman

I have "collected" what I believe to be an entire set of the Bachmann Emmit Kelly Circus trains.   At a show earlier this month the 4-6-0 was run for 8 hours a day for three days and the motor fried.   I sent it back to Bachmann for repair no problem.   The unit came home today and I don't know if I have a problem or not.    I sent it in with red wheels but it came back with black wheels.   

I would like to know if other collectors think that the "collector value" on this unit just become zero since it is not as it was from the factory?

Loco Bill Canelos

It is neat that you have all the circus items.  The only other one I know personally who has all of it is Wade Colyer.  Maybe he will chime in with his opinion.  It is really hard to say if it has any real collector value either with the red correct wheels or the black wheels.

When something goes to Bachman repair they do their very best to match what you sent, but if they can't match it, like for out of production items, they will substitute as best they can.

I personally feel that the Emmett Kelly 4-6-0 is not all that collectable. I say this because the locomotive was sold in huge numbers starting in 1993 with the introduction of the Ringmaster set, the same locomotive was also produced in the Big TOP set. The Big top set was also produced in 1993 as a Radio controlled 4-6-0 numbered 7. 

While I do not have "proof" I believe the Ringmaster set was the second best selling set ever and was outsold only by the Royal Blue set.  There must be thousands and thousands of EK 4-6-0's out there as they were produced right up to 2005 when Bachmann gave up then Emmett Kelly license agreement.  The EK 4-6-0 was produced in every chassis version except Version 6.  I have seen this set brand new in the box at a hobby store in Denver in 2010.  There are probably more still around.  They show up on Ebay all the time.  If it is important to you you may wish to pick up an original one on Ebay and use the one you got back from Bachmann for everyday operation.   

Alternately you may also want to consider painting the wheels red.  It shouldn't be all that hard to match the red.

The King Coal set with very limited production might be collectable, and the Golden classics sets with 3600 or less sets made might be collectable, but not so much the EK Sets. 

Most importantly, be sure to enjoy your collection even if it may not be of incredible value.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Iron Horseman

Good comments.   Yes, I enjoy my "collections" rather than letting them sit and collect dust.  I was letting others enjoy them to by running them at the show.   You're right, I see them all the time on e-bay and figure their must be hundreds of thousands of them out there.   For me it was the Emmit Kelly part that I was collecting, not because I thought that piece was "collectible" in and of itself.  And you also make a point about the units being in a set.  I do have the same locomotive in the Big Top set.  This one was from the Ring Master set.    I also got one from eBay with a Barry's Big Trains Drive in it (it also ran the entire weekend).  So I guess as far as having "one" in my collection I'm good.   And to make the RingMaster set good I can probably pick one up off of e-bay for cheap.

I had actually ordered the tank and tent flats the year Bachmann switched from Emmit Kelly to Bachmann Brothers - grumble.    I've repainted a zebra car to EK haven't taken on the tank car yet.

NarrowMinded

I would pay more for your loco knowing is had new parts, did you happen to notice if they changed the whole lower drive assembly? you may have a more current drive version.

NM-Jeff

P.S. did you contact bachman to see if they would send you the old drivers or atleast pop the centers out so you can install them yourself?

I'm a little surprised they didn't they would likely fit.

Barry BBT

Wade,

I want to stress the Circus Loco you bought is under my warranty, I warrant the product not the owners.

What this means to you is that if you have a problem, call me and we'll decide what to do.  If it means sending to  me, you pay the way here.  I fix the problem (no charge) and I'll pay the way back.  The only exception is the Pittman motor which I don't make and any deliberate damage.

Barry

623-936-6088
There are no dumb questions.