Pennsy RF-16 Baldwin Diesels

Started by Cobrabob8, September 06, 2012, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrabob8

I am thinking of buying an A-B-A set of brunswick green 5 stripe Pennsylvania R.R. Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose diesels. Can someone post a photo of their diesels if possible. I don't want another catalog photo please. ;)
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Hi Cobrabob,

Go on line toTrainworld website. Open up the second page for the Lionel sale flyer. ( Bottom Right) They have your Baldwin Shark on sale for 199.99 AA and if you ask for a free B they give you the B unit free.

I have the Sharks in the Delaware Hudson name Blue and silver. Good runner.
One challenge...the front trucks rubbed on the body shell. Simple solution, remove body 4 screws. Space front two screws to body with one small washer. Voila! No more rubbing. Just space the front two screws not all 4. Created a small pitch with the correct clearance. Not noticeable.

Hope this helps...671

Joe Satnik

Dear Bob,

Sorry, it's all I have.   

Joe

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Cobrabob8

;D That's okay Joe!
I'll take it. Anyhow, today I ordered an A-B-A set of WbB Brunswick Green Pennsy Sharks from Trainworld/Trainland.  For $199.99 I figured I could not go wrong. The free "B" unit was the deal maker. I sort of wish that I would have bought an extra "B" unit.  An A-B-B-A lash up would look great on my layout!!  ;)  Hopefully they will perform flawlessly, like my other five Williams locos have. This is only the second time that I have mail ordered a locomotive, as I prefer to see them run before I plunk down my hard earned cash.
Cobrabob.

My Williams Santa Fe F3s pulling a seven car set of MTH Santa Fe streamliners.

coolwaldo

Cobra Bob: I bought a Canadian Pacific ABA from Trainland. They made a mistake and sent me 2 B units instead of 1. I called and told them of their mistake. They thanked me for being honest and told me to keep it. I have been dealing with them ever since. Coolwaldo
Be happy. Play with your trains.

Cobrabob8

Coolwaldo, Wow, that's great! I think that it is nice that they said to keep the extra B unit. They shipped my RF-16s on Friday. UPS says I should have them by Tuesday. I can't wait!!
Cobrabob.

phillyreading

Quote from: coolwaldo on September 29, 2012, 10:11:43 PM
Cobra Bob: I bought a Canadian Pacific ABA from Trainland. They made a mistake and sent me 2 B units instead of 1. I called and told them of their mistake. They thanked me for being honest and told me to keep it. I have been dealing with them ever since. Coolwaldo

That's great customer satisfaction! Anyhow it might cost them more for you to return the item to Trainland, so they let you keep it. You ship the item to them, they sell it and have to pay to ship it again, so it may cost them more for you to return in the long run.

Lee F.

Cobrabob8

There was something from UPS waiting for me today when I arrived home from work!! My Williams by Bachmann Baldwin RF-16 Sharks showed up. ;D  I put the A-B-As on the track and fired them up for a test run and they performed flawlessly, OFCOURSE!!! Thank you very much WbB for another gem!! I now own six different WbB locomotives, and am very pleased thus far!
Cobrabob.

Pennsy RF-16 Sharks A-B-A
Pennsy Alco FAs A-A
Pennsy Small Hudson Steamer
Santa Fe F3s A-B-A
C&O BL-2
B&O NW-2 Switcher

Hi CobraBob8,

They look great! Did you experience any rubbing of the body to front trucks?
             Trainland's Website has an E-mail sign-up. They notify you by E-mail of up coming sales. I would advise you to sign up for that.
              I live on Long Island N.Y. approx. 13 miles from Trainland. They are always helpful in the store. They call me Mr. Williams because of all of the Williams products that I have purchased from them. ( 4 Steamers and 11 Diesels 4 Passenger sets ).
              I have post war Lionel, but I can not seem to see the value in the new Lionel products. I like old school conventional trains. Williams @ Trainland gives me the best of both worlds. Quality and style that I crave, at a price that cannot be beaten.
              This hobby is addicting. I need a bigger layout.
              I modified the steamers with the bridge rectifier voltage reduction as per Joe Satnick. They run great and smoke 100% better. The whistle works better with this set-uo. I also installed an on/off switch for the smoke units. The switch is in the loco's engineer's area. I epoxy glued the switches out of plain sight, but still could easily reach with my finger. The diesels are all stock, no voltage or wiring modification.
              I run them all with 275 watt ZW's, They perform flawlessly. I will in the near future increase the size of my layout. I am also investigating a DIY whistle/bell controller. With the ZW, as you know I can only blow the whistle.

Hope this helps...671

DominicMazoch

There is a Lionel Whistle control button.  Modern manufacture.  Place between the ZW and the track.  Test it.  If the black and red wires are one way, you get horn, whistle.  Other, bell.

Now, you might want ato get FOUR, 2 for each of the long handles on the ZW.  On older ZW's, it takes a lot of power to get the whistle to blow.  With the new buttons, you should not have that problem

Hi Dominic,

I looked into the Lionel whistle bell button. Mixed reviews were the result. The devise apparently cannot not take high amperage loads. It has a tendency to fail.
                I believe that I need to DYI a devise that will send a DC voltage piggybacked onto the AC voltage. This will trip either the bell or whistle depending upon which rail, center or outer rail receives the plus side of the DC signal.
                I will need to tinker with this. If I come up with an answer I will let you know. Right now my plate is full with projects and Grandchildren.
                This will be a good winter project. Thanks again for the info.

Cobrabob8

thanks for the tip. If I notice any obvious rubbing I will take a look into your advice.
Cobrabob.

DominicMazoch

I use TMCC in conv., and W/WBB bells and whistles work.  Litterally!

Mike_AA9ZY

Too bad the CGW didn't have sharks, eh Dom?

I've got a set of demonstrator A+A sharks, but no B unit.

Cobrabob8

Now even I would have to seriously consider CGW F3 units if they were offered!!! ;D
Cobrabob.