How much track can I use with my power supply

Started by i8ms, September 10, 2012, 11:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i8ms

Thank you all for the help!!  I can hardly wait to get started.

I want to set up a flat, oval track using about 100 ft of On30 track to run my Kinkade Christmas train.  The power supply that came with it says its 16 VAC.  I'm less than a novice and have no idea if it can run my train on that much track.

Any help will be appreciated.

Anubis

Hello i8ms,

I must confess that I am not familiar with the Kincade Christmas train, or its method of operation.

However, I am a little surprised to hear that the power pack is labelled as having an Alternating Current output.

I assume that this set is/was produced by Bachmann, and it would be reasonable to assume that like all their other On30 products, it would be designed to run on Direct Current. (Unless it is DCC, of course.)

If this is indeed the case, the only limiting factor to the length of the 'run' of track length would be the AMPERAGE (current) supplied by your power pack. If it is rated at 1 amp or similar, you should have no trouble running your On30 locomotive over 100 feet length of track.

If the current supplied is less than I amp, I would suggest your purchase of a suitable power pack, of the correct output. This would be a recommendation in any case, as most power packs supplied in train sets are very basic units, and cannot be relied upon for serious, or continued reliable operation.

I hope this helps a bit.

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

az2rail

The problem you may have is a drop in power the further away you get from the power supply section. This will cause the train to slow down. This can be fixed by adding power connections at different locations around the layout.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

NarrowMinded

The Kincade train is just a Bachmann on30 2-6-0 that has been produced for Kincade with their  decals/paint,

The controller that comes with it will run it with a 100ft of track but you must make sure all track connections are secure and run multiple feed wires, to about every ten feet around the track.

If you haven't bought the track yet, if I were you I would buy as many 36" straights as you can to minimize connection and joiner issues.

NM-Jeff

PS. I do this on my Christmas layout...

just a little tip to make a simple station stop where your train will stop and then take off after a desired time each time around the circuit I use the timer like the one in the link.  all you do is use  insulated rail joiners on one rail at each end of a  short section of track. then use the timer to bridge the entrance side gap from the live track to the rail that is insulated, when the loco's wheels bridge the gap the timer DE-Energizes the rail and the train stops. when the time expires the rail energizes and the train takes off again.

It does not stop when it bridges the exit side gap because it bridges to the live track on exit.

these say 19vac t220vac but the two I use work down to about 6 volts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/483USA-Artisan-time-delay-capsule-new-in-box-/110913959924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d2fcb7f4