News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams Passenger Cars

Started by joeyzeller, September 11, 2012, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyzeller

Can anyone tell me what year Williams NYC Passenger 5 car set 2700 was produced.

Can anyone tell me what year Williams NYC Passenger 5 car set 2601 was produced.

Thank you

phillyreading

Do you have any of the boxes that those passenger cars came in?
Five and six car passenger sets are not that common any more, WBB (Williams by Bachmann) has gone to four car passenger sets with two car add-ons.
If it has Williams Crown Edition it was almost 20 years ago.
Williams reproduction series, approximately six to nine years ago.
Williams by Bachmann can be up to two or three years ago.

I have the "El Capitan" set of Santa Fe passenger cars made by Williams that is a six car set, two vista domes, a baggage car, two passenger cars and an observation car.

Also have the six car passenger set for Reading Company "King Coal", a baggage car, a combo car, three passenger cars and an observation car.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

WOW Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that El Capitan

When I was in my Medical Residency a Pharm Company took us out to dinner on a "Dinner Train"

When I climbed aboard it was the El-Capitan, I almost had tears in my eyes as i remember

my Dad pulling us out of school to ride the El Capitan to California the last few years of its life.

Those F-Unit Santa Fe's left vivid and emblassoned memories I never forgot. The Porters were

kind and wonderful as they many times treated me and my bothers to ice-cream sundae's!!!

I would love to own one of those 5 or 6 car sets of passenger cars if they pop up on e-bay or WBB does a special "Golden Memory run.

phillyreading

M1FredQ,

Are you looking for new or used Santa Fe? Mine are from the Crown Edition era.

I went to the Western Depot site and found the El Capitan series in H.O. only. Not being re-done by WBB as of yet.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

I like new if I can get a deal but will accept used if in great condition.
When I had the HO up and running last year I was able to pick up El Capitan for my son.
It was by Atlas. I ended up picking up some interior sets with lighting and it looks nice. We packed the HO away to concentrate on the O-Gauge. BUT we have learned you can mix HO into an O-Gauge. layout. Once we get this new table up an running we will eventually have the HO up on top.
I was getting back into the O-Gauge about the time Lionel came out with the El-Capitan set.
It sold like crazy and was able to pick up the last set I could find ironically at our local hobby
shop. The additional cars like the Baggage and vista dome I was never able to locate. But have
always hoped WBB would complete the set.
Like in the days when i built model aircraft (World War 2) I found you can't be a purist.
For example Germans in North Africa used Italian Paints to camoflage their planes. The paints
were often applied with airbrush(if they had time) paint brushes, brooms and mops!!!!!!!!!!!
SO
I have found El Capitan and Super Chief Passenger cars mixed even with older or newer
passenger cars of the Santa-Fe line in a lot of the old photos. Therefore I don't mind mixing it up on the layout. My
8 year old has no problem mixing up various cars. Yesterday we pulled out the Illinois Central
F-3's(Williams) and he hooked them up to the Santa-Fe Passenger cars we have.
I now wouldn't mind finding Illinois Central cars but  there's no hurry. Today we cut up doll-rods
and stained them for logs to put on the dumping flatcrs we found at a re-sale O-Gauge train
store in a town we were visiting for a High School regional Cross-Country meet. The price was
great and we even found a Lionel nice looking Caboose PRR(no lights) for 5 bucks!!!!!!!!!!
Tonight before he went to bed 8 year old was dumping logs  out of the flat cars. It truly is a
fun hobby. We plan to go back some time over Thanksgiving break. This guy had a store like
the famous "Hardware Store" in New York you read about. Almost everything was O-Gauge.
Lots of old Williams-they made some nice stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyreading

The El Capitan set I have has six passenger cars with it; a baggage, a combo, two vista domes, two regular passengers, and one observation(one coupler on the front end, other coupler is simulated into the plastic molding). It came as a boxed set of six passenger cars from the Williams factory, no add-on cars. Each passenger car has it's own smaller box with styrofoam to package it into. All six cars have two lights each inside and two operating knuckle couplers, except for the observation car. These cars are in brand new to excellant condition.
Also have the set of ABA F-7's for the Santa Fe; two powered A units with lights(up-graded second A unit to power), B unit has QSI sound board with station leaving announcement.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

From about 1959 on, during the off seasons, the SC and the El Cap were combined into one train.  In the summer, and winter holiday season, the train went to 2 sections.  SC was the first, El Cap the second.

M1FredQ

Thanks for all the information everybody.

Lee

If you come across any passenger cars like the ones you have shoot me an e-mail

please!!!!!!!

RRAddict2

Did you ever find the El Capitan SF passenger cars?

M1FredQ

Yes I did

One of the fellas i chit chat with at Trainworld was able to find them for me.
Thanks for asking !!!!