News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale double loop

Started by SpecialK67, September 25, 2012, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpecialK67

As I am new to this,I'm working on my layout plans & would like to do a double loop.It seems the most popular radius is 11.25" which is fine.I was wondering if I use 11.25" for the inside loop,would I have any problems using 14"radius for the outside loop? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Joe Satnik

Dear SpecialK67,

Minimum track center spacings are shown in these NMRA tables:

http://nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

SpecialK67

Thanks a lot,I really do appreciate it.I guess another way to figure it out is use the trustee ole' compass

Desertdweller

There is another way to do this using the same radius curves for both inside and outside tracks.  Put a section of straight track into the outside curve.

Les

SpecialK67

Thanks Les, after I read your response it sounds like a good idea which makes a lot of sense. Now all I need is to find out is the different track lengths I.E. turnouts

Desertdweller

You will find the E-Z Track turnouts to be slightly longer than the E-Z Track straight sections.  There are two ways to do this:  Put the same number of E-Z Track turnouts on both sides of your loop track plan; or splice E-Z Track straight track sections to equalize the distance.  I would pop the track from the roadbed and cut the roadbed with straight square ends (use a square or miter box.  The track part can be replaced by a piece of flextrack.  If you don't want to use flextrack, then make the splice joint in the rails where they won't be directly above the splice joint in the roadbed.

I have a fairly large railroad with E-Z Track main lines, and have had to do these splices in several places.  When you splice the roadbed, bridge the joint inside the roadbed with pieces of flat scrap plastic.

Les

SpecialK67

Thanks Les,I really do appreciate the good info as it will really help in designing my layout. I've looked at several sites to try to get the dimensions of the N scale EZ track but all I find is the price list. I use an architecture/drafting ruler so I can get an accurate drawn out plan. If there's any other good tips ya have that'll help I'm all eyes & ears

Joe Satnik

Dear SpecialK67,

AnyRail.com is a track layout CAD program that has EZ-Track libraries.

It's a free download that's easy and fun to learn, and is free for the first 50 track pieces.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

SpecialK67

Hey Joe, I tried that but I'm on a Mac so I couldn't dwnld that  one or the one frm Atlas, I've used the one frm RailModeller but it's not that good. It's not up to date & not all the parts that are avail are listed

mrmtox

Will your double loop be on a flat surface with "X"-type cross overs or will you elevate one track above the other at the cross overs? I did the latter on an elevated track around the perimeter of my layout and it was lots of fun to construct and gives the entire layout a nice three dimensional component.

SpecialK67

Not exactly sure how I'm going to run my loops,most likely on a flat surface w/the outer loop running independent from the inner so it'll just go around & keep the industry buildings in the center of the inner loop

mrmtox

For an alternative to cutting pieces of track and making splice joints remember Bachmann sells packs of short pieces of EZtrack. I've used a bunch of them and they're really handy when you need 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5" etc.  I think the part #s are BAC44829 and BAC44899.

SpecialK67

Yea,I've looked up those part #'s to keep from having to cut track. I've already used them in my track layout design I'm doing. I just need to know how close I can lay 2 parallel tracks together

mrmtox

Just remember you can lay them within 3/4" or so if your rolling stock isn't too long. but if your cars (long box cars, passenegr cars etc) are 4" - 5" you'll have curve "hangover" problems.  If you'd like to e-mail me or even (gasp) call, I'd be happy to discuss my experiences with the same kinds of questions not too long ago. 

SpecialK67

I do appreciate it,but your profile doesn't have your email addr