News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newer True Blast???

Started by M1FredQ, September 30, 2012, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

Just wondering if WBB has in the works newer technology with better sounding diesel
i.e., F-3's etc as well as steamers with steam hissing, start up and slow down hissing steam
sounds and chugging. That would be a nice add on feature !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw a Horse Shoe Curve Berkshire with all those sounds and it was very realistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyreading

Don't know if Bachmann will do anything like you mention Fred. However MTH has some nice steam engine sounds on their Premeir Line of PS-2 steamers.

The old QSI sound boards from the Williams Crown Edition for diesel engines had the diesel revving sounds( in a pair of diesels, one powered and one unpowered that had the QSI sound board) and higher rpm sounds as the voltage increased. Also had train leaving station announcement, and had bell at slow speed and horn at high speed.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Williams/WBB's niche seems to be conventional AC control with DC offset sound activation, i.e., +DC offset for Whistle or Horn, -DC offset for Bell.

There are competitors in this niche who have High Fidelity sound (amps, speakers and speaker enclosures) and canyon wall echos built in to their recordings.  

It's a startling difference.  

There are at least 2 places where WBB could improve their sound.  

First, low voltage.  Parallel motor wiring produces such high speeds that throttles are always set low.   Low voltage = low audio power = clipped, distorted sound.  

Easy fix:  Change to series motor wiring.

Harder fix: Change motors to lower rpm for the same voltage, forcing higher throttle settings.

Harder fix: Small on-board boost transformer or DC to DC converter to get a higher voltage audio power supply.

Second, tiny memory.  More memory for (digital) audio recordings gives greater sound accuracy/fidelity and longer recording length.  

Since TBII was introduced, memory capacity per dollar has probably grown 250 times, if not more.  

I'd guess that the old, small capacity memory is getting harder to find, and soon may not be made anymore.

If they can solve those two problems and upgrade their audio chain (D/A converter, amp, speaker, speaker enclosure) and recordings, it would be a great improvement.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: "Change to series motor wiring."

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

I have heard that the new Amtrak phase V has an upgraded True Blast horn. ???
Maybe another year and Bachmann will add the newest True Blast horn to their entire line-up.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Thanks Joe and Lee

You fellas are always helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!

r0gruth

IMHO the WBB Tru-Blast horn/whistle and bell have a nice sound.The set pattern horn/whistle is the complaint that I have.
The old air and electronic whistle/horn of other manufacturers have always had some user control as to pattern.
Roger

EIS

I totally agree.  The whistle sound is good, but I prefer having control of the sound sequence.  The repetitive sounds get monotonous very quickly.

Earl