News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Passenger Cars

Started by Chris9017, October 01, 2012, 01:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris9017

Well, since a Spectrum Caboose and Spetrum freight cars were made, I was wondering if we would see any Spectrum Passenger Cars in the future.  The current passenger cars we see are nice, but I was they would be nicer if the interior had opening doors, a removable roof to show off the details, LED lighting, metal trucks with better light pick-ups, and better detailed seats.   With the Spectrum 3rd Generation 4-4-0s out, and C-19s out, it would be nice to have Spectrum class coaches with Spectrum Baggage cars, Spectrum Combines, Spectrum Full Coaches, and Spectrum Observations, all in higher quality than the current ones available on the market to compete with Accucraft and their high prices.  Bachmann could make really nice Spectrum Coaches, and I'm willing to pay extra bucks to give my 4-4-0s something nicer to pull.   We could have really beautiful passenger cars out from the Spectrum Series.

Bucksco

I am curious what folks would be willing to pay for a passenger car in the 1:20.3 Spectrum large scale series.......

armorsmith

Yardmaster,

I would say if you maintained a similar pricing differential on the passenger equipment as you did on the D&RGW caboose compared to Accucraft, I would think they would sell well.  The level of detail fidelity and overall quality of the caboose relative to Accucraft made the caboose a great value at a fair price point.  I own one caboose and wish my budget would allow for another. 

I am sure there are those who will disagree, but that is my tuppence worth.

Bob C.

Mark V.

Yardmaster,

Just answering the question from my perspective.  I paid $150-$250 for my current coaches.  I would pay more for something "different".  Closed vestibules or non-Jackson Sharpe cars.  Some properly scaled "shorter" coaches to go with my Spectrum 4-4-0 would be most welcomed.  Honestly I'd go $300.00 for the right car.

Thanks for asking!

kovacjr

What would be nice is a plastic version of the San Juan set. The main issue is that all the cars are different in some way.  Roof, length, width, height. Of course these are limited to DRGW lettering only.

Pricing would be expected in the 200.00 range.

I do have drawings for these cars in addition to many of the DRGW coaches.

Question is how many cars need to be run of a single type to make the run possible?

rmccown

As others have said, I'd like to see a car in the $150 street price range. 

JBSahnd

Yardmaster,

I would be willing to pay ~$200 for a detailed passenger car, with metal wheels and low resistance power pickups, LED lighting (interior & exterior) and quality interior detail.

Chuck N

Unfortunately, for me this is a little late.  I have more than enough of the D&RGW passenger cars.  I might buy some head end cars; baggage, postal, and combine.  Only if in Rio Grange gold.  $250 would be within reason.

Chuck

tom p

$150 range. With Accucraft at $209.They have an established market. Need to come in less if one wants to penetrate this market.

mudhen

$150.00 to $250.00 would be great, the lower price I would prefer. But what does reality say ?
I would defiantly buy a consist for my K-27's after I purchase at least 1 C-19, in the Flying Rio Grande.
I need a 2nd job to support my obsession with the Denver & Rio Grande Western, Spectrum Narrow Gauge rolling stock. There are to good !!!!!

tac

I have an AccuCraft K27 and AMS cars to match it - passenger and freight.  Of course, I, too, would like to see something affordable on sale.

However, we have to be realistic, and get real about the facts of life - with the recent surpise prices of the Forney - north of a thousand dollars, the C-19, nice, but $1500?, the chances of seeing a sub-$400-500 1:20.3 scale passenger car with all the detail we now expect is fantasy.

Here in yUK there are a larger number of people than you might think who collect and run North American style trains - I'm only one of them, but here we have to contend with a dollar/pound rate that is one for one, or worse.  As a result of that, Bachmann prolly sold less than half a dozen of the new Forneys - total - here in all of the UK.

Coming back to the 'new cars' - there is no way on earth that I'm going to be paying $500 for ANY kind of a LS passenger car - my AMS cars were bought as part of a deal five years ago, and THEY were $350 each.

Like the man noted a long time ago, it's hard to fly with eagles when you're a turkey - these days, wanting 'big' and 'scale' and 'feature-packed' all in the same item  equals big money needed.

Realism hurts the ego, and the pocket.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

alecescolme

I would like to see a passenger car reasonably accurately scaled to 1:20.3, but with the amount of detail in the big haulers to keep the costs down. The buyer then can super-detail to their needs or leave as is.

Thanks for asking for our opinion
Alec

Loco Bill Canelos

The street price would have to  be lower than Accucraft cars
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rmccown

Another suggestion would be to build 'empty' passenger cars, and have the interior a separately available drop-in.  Its been done in other scales, it would work here as well.

mmiller

Quote from: alecescolme on October 02, 2012, 11:21:45 AM
I would like to see a passenger car reasonably accurately scaled to 1:20.3, but with the amount of detail in the big haulers to keep the costs down. The buyer then can super-detail to their needs or leave as is.

Thanks for asking for our opinion
Alec

I think that would be my preference too, or an optional drop in interior
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge