News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

converting to DCC

Started by jackbreadman1, October 04, 2012, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackbreadman1

I have a Bachmann John Bull train set and it is analog,  is it possible to make it DCC?   I also have a Bachmann EM80C, is it possible to make it DCC?  thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.  Jack

richg

It is possible but hiding the decoder will be a challenge. The Bachmann decoder is much too large and a couple other brands have a smaller one but I doubt those would fit in the tender, plus the motors are not very good. Plastic gears can strip a few teeth and be worthless. That has happened to me and a few others.
DCC is sensitive to poor pickup and the pickups on the tender are not very good.
That loco makes a good display model.

Rich

Doneldon

jack-

The John Bull train set won't stand up long enough to justify putting a decoder into it, not to mention that connecting and concealing one will be a major
challenge. It's useless as part of a railroad so it's really only a display item. I suppose you could use it as a ride in a park on your model railroad but you
wouldn't need DCC for that. And you'd be gambling on the thing working long-term which is almost certainly a losing proposition.        

-- D

WTierce1

From what I can get, since decoders use pwm to the motor, that may be better for a small motor like that is in it.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

richg

Quote from: wtierce on October 05, 2012, 03:11:10 AM
From what I can get, since decoders use pwm to the motor, that may be better for a small motor like that is in it.

Not true. The motor quality and pickups, plus gears are the weak links. The ones I had where three pole motors. If you ever see the pickups, you will know what I mean. You have to kick up the voltage quite a lot to keep them running because of only four wheel pickups and sometimes the first plastic gear has a few teeth stripped from it by the worm on the motor, usually because of fast reversals.
These little locos have a long history of going bad in a short time. They are only toys.
Other than that, it is a nice display loco.

Rich