News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler height

Started by Mark FL, October 08, 2012, 09:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

I am sure this question has been ask in the past. The couplers on my 3 engines and higher that the couplers on my other rolling stock. How do I get them to line up?

richg

Don't know what gauge your are in. It might help if you choose the proper forum, depending on which scale you model.
Start by getting a couple height gauge for your scale so that you have a frame of reference.

Rich

Mark FL

Thanks Rich,

I am sure many others have had this same issue. My scale is HO and as you may have noticed I am new to this, but learning fast.  I will look into other forums and see what others have done.

BIG BEAR

Mark,
   Try the search at the top of the screen "coupler height guage," should work good.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Woody Elmore

Kadee makes an HO coupler gauge that nees to be assembled. Mcro Mark also has one that works just as well as the Kadee item with no assembly needed.

Since you are new you might want to invest in at least one coupler height gauge. I used to have a piece of flex track mounted on a piece of wood. I had gauges mounted at each end and checked each car before putting it on the layout.

Low cars can be corrected with using washers (something that Kadee also sells). High cars are another story. I'm sure if you go through the past posts in the HO section you'll find lots of information.

glennk28

Kadee also has couplers witeh the head offset up or down--gj

richg

OK, I suspected HO.
Get a track and wheel gauge also. It is a single item that is very useful.
There is a tool for adjusting the trip pins that can be very useful. Some use needle nose pliers but the tool sold for this is a little more useful if you do not use hand tools very much.
A set of jewelers screwdrivers will be needed.
Micro Mark is a good source for train tools.

http://www.micromark.com/

Rich

Doneldon

Mark-

As others have advised, get a coupler gauge and a scale gauge which will allow you to make sure that your rails and wheels are in gauge. I
think the Kadee coupler gauge is the best one and the scale gauge from the NMRA is the best of those. There are a few things to remember
when using them, especially when it comes to coupler height.

Remember that a coupler which seems too low when you check it with the gauge, and therefore needs to be raised, is adjusted by adding
washers between the trucks and the car body. Also, be sure to reverse the direction in which the coupler jaws move when the car is upside
down. That is, make sure that the bottom of the coupler is up when the car is upside down. Things get backwards when you are working upside
down.
                                              -- D

Mark FL

Thanks Everyone for the input.  your input will make this hobby more enjoyable !