News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Gandy Dancer" handcar wheels

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 10, 2012, 01:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I recently bought a pair of replacement wheels for the large scale handcar, which I intend to use on a scratchbuilt railcar. The wheels arrived today. Each wheel has half an axle, and there is a short length of gray plastic tube which apparently is supposed to be used to join the axle together, preventing a short circuit through the axle. Problem is, there's no way the axle stubs will fit into the tube. Do I just need to find another tube with a larger inside diameter, or is there something else I'm supposed to do with this?

Also, the wheels came with a thin plastic washer that fits over an axle. What is the purpose of this washer?
Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

TJ-Lee

Ray,

Odd, I purchased a set of wheels for the Bachmann G gauge handcar and they came assembled (as far as the axles were concerned.

Part number was G96212 and was around $20 if I remember right.

See this page for a picture of the assembly.

http://tjstrains.com/620/repairing-the-bachmann-hand-car/

About half way down the page is the picture. I was replacing the gears of which two had cracked and the only way to get new gears was to purchase the entire sub assembly.

Best,
TJ

Ray Dunakin

They must have changed the design, because the handcar parts they currently list are

96223 - Wheels w/Axle  (This is the part I have.)
96210 - Gears
96211 - Gearbox w/Motor

Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Chuck N

Ray: you might try heating the plastic tube and axle parts with a hair dryer or put the axles and tube in hot water.  This should soften the plastic so that it will fit over the axle.  It should tighten up on cooling.  By heating both the axle and tube, the tube won't cool to quickly when it comes in contact with the metal axle.  Chuck

Ray Dunakin

I tried some styrene tubing but didn't have any with the correct inside diameter. So I ended up sanding out the interior of the supplied tube, using a small round file, until it fit.

But I still don't know what's the purpose of the thin plastic washer. It may not be relevant since I'm not putting it on a Bachmann handcar, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Barry BBT

Ray,

These wheels and axle halfs are from the big Hauler pilot truck, any washers, gear, etc. are to locate the axle and the frame.

The pilot tube from the pilot truck is generally too loose, but a bit of super glue on each stub will hold everything in place.

If you want I can send you a couple of these, other wise with a caliper measure the stub from the axle half and equate that to a drill bit size and drill out the hole you need.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

mickeykelley

I'v got one of the Christmas red ones that say built 12/94 and a Christmas white one that says built 12/97 and neither work now.  Are the gears the same?  The red one also takes pickup from the trailing car too, unlike my white one .