LED Headlights and Modifications in a Spectrum Steamer

Started by jonathan, September 12, 2012, 07:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Folks,

I made a discovery recently that may be beneficial to those who like to play with lighting and modifications to their locomotives.  

I had always assumed (uh oh) that the resistors for leds on these locomotives were located on the PCB boards.  Imagine my surprise to discover the led for the headlight on this locomotive was actually located in the split frame, behind the led, not on the board.  It was racking my brain why I couldn't get one of my headlights to work.  It was because I accidently cut out the resistor.  This locomotive is an older, 'black box' Spectrum 2-8-0 with DCC on board.  The next two pix show that resistor that I am rewiring because I raised the headlight, as I am want to do:

It will be tough to squeeze the wires between the frame and the back of the smokebox.

For the reverse light, I soldered wires to the dummy plugs and added a diode so the light will come on in reverse only:

If I wired it backwards, no  problem.  I just swtch the dummy plugs:

I used a 12v GOW bulb in the back of a brass reverse light;  Two #76 holes are drilled in the tender to run the wires.

This works for my home layout because it is DC.  I have DCC locos for my club layout and module display layout.

Additional tender mods were to move the ladder to the correct side, scratched up some footboards, and added a cut lever.  The stanchions were salvaged from an old Bachmann 2-6-2 tender.  Cool.

Finally, is all the weird stuff I do to the loco shell to get it more B&O like.  I've posted about this before.  No need to rehash the subject.

Waiting on some detail parts to complete this locomotive.  So she's a work in progress.

Hope this helps someone who likes to tinker.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;Woundn't it be better to maybe put the resistor somewhere like the cab rather than mess with restricted space up forward?  Also;
what are your thoughts of Prarie type locomotives?  I just bought a Key Limited Imports 2-6-2, and it is a sight nicer than the Bachmann unit (which to me, has always suspiciously resembled an 0-6-0)...
Where I am going is to what kind of duty this engine was employed, what were it's running characteristics, etc.  I know they were a widely used configuration on narrow gauge roads, such as the SR&RL.
Rich C.

Doneldon

whiz-

Connies were used all over the country by just about every railroad. They were mostly used in freight service but could be seen pulling anything depending on the circumstances.

Your Key Prairie is much, much nicer than the Bachmann loco. You are right in your observation that it resembles an 0-6-0. It also resembles the Bachmann 2-6-0 because all three models are the same, just with pilot and trailing trucks added or not. IIRC, the prototype was an 0-6-0.

I'm a big fan of Prairies so the Bachmann 2-6-2 isn't my favorite. The Key model is a nice one and there are several other Prairies available, at least one from Key. Prairies were very versatile, used in freight, passenger and even (no, I'm not kidding) helper service. Unfortunately, they were introduced just before the advent of super steam technology so there weren't a huge number of these capable engines manufactured.
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

jonathan

Rich,

I have somewhere around 1/4" of dead space between the back of the smokebox and front of the split frame.  I should be OK.  I prefer to have the resistor in this location for ease of access, should I have to open the shell and replace the led, resistor, or perform maintenance.  It will be a bit of a squeeze for certain.

I have admired those Key Prairies from afar.  They are a pretty loco.  Since the B&O didn't have one, I haven't considered a purchase.

The Bachmann 0-6-0, 2-6-2 and old 2-6-0 mogul (not the new sound value jobber) are all the same loco, like Doneldon mentioned.  If you hold up the Bachmann to a photo of the USRA 0-6-0, the measurements and detail placements are identical.  I have superdetailed 5 of these locos.  They run great with added tender pick up.  Certainly won't make a realistic Prairie, however.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Well, it wasn't too difficult to get the shell back on, in spite of the wiring.  Fortunately, everything worked right the first time, for a change.  :)

Every time I modify one of these, I add a little more detail, moving ever closer to a more prototypical E-27b model I'll perfect it one of these days.  :)

It runs great, as a Spectrum Consolidation should.  Whew.

Regards,

Jonathan

rbryce1

Real nice looking engine and job.  I just purchased a Bachmann EM-1 and there does not seem to be any cab lighting, and I may try and put some in.

Is it an optical illusion, or did you use what looks like extremely large size wires?  If so, was there a reason you used these or could you have used around 22 gauge wires instead?

jonathan

Thanks.

I don't know the gage.  I use scrap wire slavaged from old PC mice and keyboards.  Remember when that stuff use to need wires to connect to a computer?   :)  I try to match the size and color already used in the locomotive.  Any smaller and I would have trouble manipulating the wire.  It's pretty small already.  I know there is smaller wire out there.  My meat hooks just can't handle it.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Number 30 wire is used for DCC and lights in many locos. I have used #44 enameled magnet wire for lighting which is really small diameter and easy to hide. Like Jonathan said, not easy for some to use.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on October 09, 2012, 04:16:45 PM
Number 30 wire is used for DCC and lights in many locos. I have used #44 enameled magnet wire for lighting which is really small diameter and easy to hide. Like Jonathan said, not easy for some to use.

Rich

Rich-

Magnet wire is fine, especially for LEDs, but the insulation can wear off if the wire vibrates against something.

-- D

rogertra

Keep in mind guys, headlights in steam days were not as bright as the sealed beam headlights used in diesels these days.

They were a 75W(?) lamp, in a many times tarnished reflector housing.  "Golden Glow" is how they were described.

Not "Melt Your Eyeballs" sealed beams used on diesels.

So, aim for a Golden Glow, not a brilliant white.

richg

Quote from: rogertra on October 09, 2012, 08:33:53 PM
Keep in mind guys, headlights in steam days were not as bright as the sealed beam headlights used in diesels these days.

They were a 75W(?) lamp, in a many times tarnished reflector housing.  "Golden Glow" is how they were described.

Not "Melt Your Eyeballs" sealed beams used on diesels.

So, aim for a Golden Glow, not a brilliant white.

There is one exception but very few do it from what I have seen.
Around 1900, carbon arc headlights where in use and they where an extremely intense white light. So bright that the driver had to turn it off when approaching an oncoming loco or in a station. A low wattage incandescent lamp was switched on.
The carbon arc lamp loco fixture was different from most loco light fixtures of the time. I do not believe any Bachmann locos have this type of headlight.

Rich

Doneldon

rich-

Carbon arc lights are, indeed, intensely bright. They were used in early motion picture projectors and are still used today in searchlights.

-- D