News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation lights too dim

Started by Keusink, October 08, 2012, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

Hello all

I have three Bachmann Connies, spectrum, dcc, two with sound. The headlights in all three are terribly dim, compared to the rest of my locomotive stock of various brands.
You can barely see them, even running in the dark.

Is this a programming problem?

Others have the same issue?

Is there a fix?

Chris

richg

I you have not messed with the lighting then it is the nature of the beast.
Many Bachmann locos with LED's use a plastic light pipe to transmit the lighting up to the headlight. The LED is mounted on the frame so it is relatively easy to separate the shell from the frame. No wire running from the frame up into the headlight fixture.
Also, I have found the LED resistance to be quite high. Normal resistance for an LED is usually about 1k. Many Bachmann locos, the resistance is at least 2 k.
From what I have seen in Bachmann locos. The light pipe is not adjustable but then I have not seen the inside of all the steamer's.
Now if yours are light bulbs, I cannot comment on them.

Rich

jonathan

Keusink,

Doing a search of the HO forum, I notice the dim headlight issue has come up many times (four pages worth).  This is 'normal' for a Consolidation, Mountain, and several other Bachmann Locomotives.  As Rich stated, a brighter headlight will require some modifications to improve the brightness.  You have several options.

My go-to fix has always been to move the bulb or LED directly into the headlight can.  Others have fixed it by changing the LED and/or resistors.

Here's a more recent post I did on moving the LED:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21408.0.html

You can see the light is much brighter in the finished photos.  I raised the headlight to be more prototypical for my road, but that is not necessary.

I have performed this modification on 5 Connies and 2 Mountains.  I have discovered on at least one Connie the resistor was located between the split frame, and NOT on the PCB.  A bit of tinkering is required.

Regards,

Jonathan

Keusink

Jeez, you guys who do this stuff are scary. How on earth is an humble attorney raising twins ever supposed to learn to do all that stuff on your link? I don't even know how to take the boiler off (that is a boiler, isn't it?) so I can get to the wires to take off the cardboard cover to move the light closer to the headlight.

You have my greatest admiration for your abilities to transform these instruments of terror. Can you come over to my house and fix mine?

Thanks for your advice and replies. I am not competent to do what you do, but I sure can admire it from a distance!

jonathan

What you don't see is all the trial and error. I have a junk box full of stuff that didn't work.  Like any other pursuit, it takes some practice to to able to manipulate and build small models, with tiny tools, under a magnifying glass.

Don't fret over ruining a few items while learning.  You can do it.  Compared to some of the real masters out there, I am a hack.  The tinkering is the fun part of the hobby for me.

Thanks for the kind words.  AND if you lived anywhere near me, I would be happy to disassemble your locos for you.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: jonathan on October 10, 2012, 06:33:43 AM
What you don't see is all the trial and error. I have a junk box full of stuff that didn't work.  Like any other pursuit, it takes some practice to to able to manipulate and build small models, with tiny tools, under a magnifying glass.

Don't fret over ruining a few items while learning.  You can do it.  Compared to some of the real masters out there, I am a hack.  The tinkering is the fun part of the hobby for me.

Thanks for the kind words.  AND if you lived anywhere near me, I would be happy to disassemble your locos for you.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Same here. It all comes under hacking. Mistakes will be made but that is the fun part of experimenting.
You can get what you want.

Rich

MarkInLA

Chris, don't feel alone. I asked a similar question about my Ten Wheeler (4-6-0) a while back..It is sad though..Your Connie and my Ten are two of the best running locos. Yet , my 2-6-0 Mogul ,not even Spectrum line, has one of the best lights I've ever seen !! It even has a dimmer position (usually button 7 on throttle ). At full strength it nearly will burn out your retina ! Yeah , my Ten is like your's, an extremely low level intensity..Why the fellas at Bachmann let it out this way perplexes me as it seems all they'de have to have done is lower the resistence to (I think someone said) 1k instead of 2k..I'm sure if we could get the shell off we could switch it out, but you'd have to be quite a good solderer I'd think...If you have the bucks, your local train store could probably do it for you at, I'm guessing $25.00 +-... Mark

Doneldon

Hey, Everybody-

I agree that loco lights seem to be pretty dim these days but don't overdo the
brightening. Real bright lights are blinding if the room lights are dimmed and
can ruin night operations.
                                             -- D