When should we lube motors & How do shells come off ?

Started by MarkInLA, October 10, 2012, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hey again, sorry if this is old stuff, but, it seems time to get inside to the motors  now and , if necessary (?) get some LaBelle oil into motor bearings, no ?  If so, where are the screws for both the HO Mogul and Ten Wheelers ? I think I see 2 directly below cab corners into frame...Is this all, and same on both ? I've lost the schematics for both. Does  boiler then slide, say forward and off ? Or are there 4 or more screws on one or both ? Are they long enough that they are easy to drop back into holes ? Or am I looking for trouble , not having  greatest eyesight any longer ?     Thanks, Mark

CNE Runner

Mark - I don't own either of the locomotives you mentioned; but perhaps I can render some assistance. At the header of the Bachmann website you will see a section entitled "Part. Service & Information"...select this option. Once in this section select "Product Reference".

If your Consolidation is a Spectrum product it will be listed under that heading. Here you will find an exploded diagram of your locomotive. On the other hand, the Mogul is a 'Standard' product. Scroll down under all the other scales and you will find a section labeled "Standard". Your Mogul is listed there.

Another helpful section is back up toward the top of the Product Reference section and is a sub section on lubrication hints for the Bachmann K-27...much of which would be applicable to your locomotives.

I can't speak for steam locomotives, but I removed the body shell from my GE 45-Ton locomotive for cleaning/lubrication. The only thing accessible was the bearing ends of the motor shaft. I put an extremely small drop of LaBelle #102 gear lubricant on each end of the motor. The only lubricant for the gear train is to put a small quantity of LaBelle #106 lubricating grease in 2 gear 'notches'...the only 'access point' for the gearing is the partially exposed gear head on the power truck's bottom side. The major thing to keep in mind, with lubricants, is less is better.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Mark,

You didn't say if your 10-wheeler was a 2-8-0 or a 4-6-0.

I once did a post on lubing a 2-8-0:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13232.0.html

Removing the shell on a 4-6-0 would be different.

Regards,

Jonathan

MarkInLA

Ray and Jonathan, thanks for tips...Jonathan a 2-8-0, though it too has 10 wheels is named a Consolidation. A  4-6-0 which too has 10 wheels is always a Ten Wheeler in name , or Casey Jones...Ironically , K C Jones perished in a Consolidation that day, but usually drove a Ten Wheeler...( or maybe other way around. I forget now)...Mark

CNE Runner

Mark - We are always glad to be of service to a fellow modeler.

On an historical note: Casey [Luther] Jones' regular locomotive was #638 a Consolidation. This locomotive was truly Casey's 'pride and joy'. The locomotive he was running when tragically killed (although the results of the extensive investigation at the time puts Casey as at fault for ignoring a signal) was Illinois Central #382 (a Rogers Ten-Wheeler built in 1898). It is interesting to note that this very same locomotive killed several people throughout its lifespan (it was renumbered several times).

Number 638 ended its days in Mexico before being scrapped in 1940.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

As I understand it, there is some controversy about Jones' culpability. Many
peoplle at the time believed that he was scapegoated by the IC in an effort to
reduce the railroad's liability.
                                                     -- D

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Casey Jones drove the 638 when he was working on the Jackson district out of Water Valley. After that he transferred  to Memphis but the 638 stayed in Water Valley. The engine he regularly drove at the time of the accident was a 4-6-0 identical to the 382 numbered 384 which was his assigned engine until the night of the accident which is when he drove the 382 on train #1 in place of the 382's normal engineer who had called in sick that night.