News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small Engine Shed

Started by WittmanStudios, October 18, 2012, 01:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WittmanStudios

Hello,

I'm just getting into On30 scale and I have received an 0-4-2 Porter with sound and DCC. I am building a scenic module railroad for the porter and I have everything planned out. I have some questions about building the engine house.
One: If I purchase the bachmann covered bridge kit, how can I add more detail to it, say adding tin siding or shingles on the roof.
two: If I shorten the bridge to the length that's satisfactory to me, what material would you recommend for the back wall? "note, I don't want the shed to be open, just one side open and the other side closed."

That's all I can think of, I might have a few more questions to ask in future, but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to reply.

Thank You.

richg

One suggestion is, O scale corrugated metal. Rusty Stumps Scale Models sells it in plastic sheets..

I got that idea by searching for ON30 engine house. I found many other ideas. Give it a try.

Many are now modeling ON30 which I am sure you are aware of. That should be a fun project.

Rich

ebtnut

Another thought would be board-and-batten wood siding.  Very common siding treatment for railroad buildings.  I believe Evergreen sells styrene versions, which you could just glue over the existing bridge siding and the rear opening.  for O scale, you would want the battens to be spaced about 1/4" or a bit less.

WittmanStudios

Thank you ebnut and richg, I'll try it. How can I weather the building after gluing the pieces together?

richg

In case you did not do a search, below is a link with many sites about a project similar to yours which should provide many useful ideas with links you can store in Favorites.

http://tinyurl.com/8t7euuv

Rich

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: WittmanStudios on October 19, 2012, 01:28:47 PM
Thank you ebnut and richg, I'll try it. How can I weather the building after gluing the pieces together?

Try this. Emmanuel Nouaillier has had many articles published in UK modelling magazines. He is something of a genius at building painting and weathering and does a good job of explaining how he does it, often by means which are a lot simpler than you might think! http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/make-it-real-part-1/4083/ and http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/making-it-real-part-2/4084

railtwister

If you are looking to go out and buy a covered bridge, shorten it, and then change the  roof and siding, it seems to me you'd be better off to just scratch build your engine house from the git-go. I suppose if you already have the covered bridge, or can find one for just a dollar or two at a train show then it might make some sense to use it, but why not just use it as a pattern for making your own parts out of wood? Then you could use the P-Ville kit for something else (like a covered bridge!).

In any case, have fun whatever you do...

Bill in FtL