1980 (approx) Bachmann Train Set~ Overland Limited Edition

Started by cnewell04, October 21, 2012, 02:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnewell04

I have a train set that was purchased in 1980 or around there that has never been used or put together.  It is still in the actual box, but having been moved many times over the years the packaging has seen better days.  I am looking to sell, but have no clue where to begin on pricing or where to post for collectors.  Any ideas??

richg

You could try searching ebay for Completion sales, what the set actually sold for.

Rich

Doneldon

cnew-

Alas, the stories about hugely valuable old trains are bunk. Very. very few old trains are worth anything unless they are in perfect condition in packages that are in perfect condition, too. It's also necessary that the trains were desirable when new, and that they be high quality items. This leaves out most trains and, effectively, all sets. Set trains were and are lower quality items designed to get someone interested in trains at a low price. So they weren't collectable when new and now, with poor detail and operating characteristics compared to current models, they have nothing to recommend them at all. You might see some fairly encouraging asking prices on ebay but the sale prices, if the trains sell at all, are much lower. I suggest that you think of a kid you know who might get a kick out of running some trains and give the set to him/her. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

-- D

cnewell04

I appreciate the info guys! It was my hubby's from when he was a young boy. Parents bought for him and never put it together. (imagine the torture! Lol)
Recently there was a young girl in my city diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and everyone is doing a fund raiser. Just thought if I could get some extra to donate from that old train we just move from house to house, that it'd be worth a shot! :)

Blessings,
Cristy