News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 4-60 chassis info

Started by G scale CAVEMAN, October 24, 2012, 12:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G scale CAVEMAN

now i see your selling the whole chassis for the 4-6-0 but theres no information listed as to witch version of engine nor to witch engine or set  they go with ..no info written around or near the picture ..no description ..

WHY??

how can you expect us the customers to buy these items with no description ??

i have been trying to buy the front 4 wheel truck for the 4-6-0 .but its never for sale ??

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

I do not speak for Bachmann, but after reviewing all the Chassis that are for sale in the parts catalog, I have discovered that the ones for $125 are all version 5 chassis and are from Annie chassis.  The part number is the clue CH 90059 is the chassis from the locomotive in set 90059 White pass & Yukon.  If the part number is CH 81097 then is from an Anniversary sold separately with the same number in this case the D&RG Annie.

All the Chassis selling for $85 are from Big Hauler Sets and the CH number is the same as the set number.

So for example if you have Set 90035 The Prospector (Virginia & Truckee) you could order CH 90035 and get an exact replacement for your loco.  If the set was made after 2000 The chassis will be a version 5.

As far as I can tell all the 900xx chassis are for sure version 5, except for 90025 and 90092 which I do not have enough info to tell all the 810xx are version 5 Annie chassis.

The chassis ID is important because some styles have the older sharp pointed cowcatcher and others the shorter modern version. 

It is certainly commendable that Bachmann has made all these chassis available, because this will allow owners of the original locomotive to get an exact replacement. None the less I have to agree that the descriptions need to be more specific as to chassis version and say something like "exact replacement for chassis in set number 900xx"  or "exact replacement for locomotive Bachmann Number 810xx D&RG Annie"   Also need to identify the chassis version for 90025 and 90092.

If you need a part that is not listed, try calling the parts department.  While there is no guarantee they can help they will do there best to help.

Hope this is of some help.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Bucksco

The best way to be sure that you are getting the version of the 4-6-0 chassis that you need would be to give the service department a call.

Barry BBT

Caveman,

I have spare pilot truck frames, no charge (use your wheels).

I also build an improved pilot truck frame and arm for the 4-6-0 (no weights, no derail) $25.00.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

G scale CAVEMAN

well thanks again LOCO BILL CANELOS ..you know a lot about bachmanns  g scale trains ..they should hire you :)

bachmanns parts department doesn't have a clue ... sorry people :(

my engine is a green with red roof and window trim and has grey boiler with silver front and black and silver chassis
SANTA FE battery operated engine ... i don't have any catalog numbers nor can i say how old
it is ..nor what version it is ..it still runs but its missing the rubber tires ..so it can't pull any amount of cars  mostly
it only pulls one pass car or 2 freight cars only ..then spins its wheels ..its 27 MHz and number is only partial train# 90-0
then the rest of the sticker is torn off ...

hi Barry .... here's my email ......  edonianx@msn.com  we should talk  8)

thank you guys for all your help   !!!

Bucksco

The battery operated / radio controlled 4-6-0s were the original versions. They were produced many moons ago and I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that there are no longer any parts for them in the warehouse. As a matter of fact I seriously doubt there is anyone in the service department who was around back then (could be the reason they don't recognize it). As a side note it is actually rare to find a company with a full blown service department - let alone one with parts for a product that was produced over 20 years ago....might be time to invest in an upgraded version.....

Loco Bill Canelos

Well now that we know you have the old 1989 battery powered chassis, the best advice I can give is to buy one on EBAY, and use it for parts. They show up quite frequently.  As Yardmaster says you old 4-6-0 is obsolete, so Ebay is the only way unless you find one at a swap meet.  The newer 4-6-0s are very reliable and quite reasonable, unless you just can't part with your old unit

Best of luck.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Larry S.

I had one of the battery powered engines. Not much in the way of detail like the Annies. I wanted an R/C Annie, so I mated the battery engine to an Annie. Not a horrible job. Runs quite well for the simple R/C system. I don't pull too many cars with it so as not to tax the older motor too much. I left the iron slug in the boiler and put the batteries in the tender. The remains of the battery engine became a scrapped engine scene.

Larry S.
Southern Ohio Narrow Gauge Railroad
Larry S.

G scale CAVEMAN

my only real problem with this engine is its missing the rubber tires ..otherwise it runs
it just can't pull any cars with out thoes rubber tiires .....  that why i wanted to find a powere chassie
so i could mount the top of this battery-operated enging witch is in great shape to one of the new powered chassies