News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

c-19 sound install

Started by bob kaplan, October 26, 2012, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Some step by step help with Phoenix sound installation in the C-19 please.
   First of all....which unit would you purchase?
   Once received....in a step by step; wire by wire, pin by pin, setting by setting, how do you install the unit. 
From what i gather by looking at the instructions, it should be a matter of hooking up a couple of wires to the correct areas of the board...but even there i have trouble.
  My results with the 2-6-6-2 were not pretty (my installer messed that one up.)  Other engines needed diode circuits, etc  installed, etc.
   Is this engine as simple as it should be....and if so....what specifically will go from what to what??
Thanks for you help.  It is really appreciated.  i so want to do this myself...not sending it out.

Loco Bill Canelos

Phoenix lists sound card C-16 for both the C-16 and C-19.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/pdf/P8_Handbook.pdf  This is the handbook for the P8, but they also have instructions for the PB11 as well.  The PB11 is suitable for any situation, while the P8 is great for DCC or battery powered locomotives, depending on what you use.

All in all installing sound is not as spooky as it seems.  There are two wires to power the board, these come from the leads from the track.  Two wires connect to the motor output,  two go to the speaker, and two go to the chuff sensor.  This will give you basic sound.  If you have a control system which allows for separate sound triggers, you may be able to operate individual sound such as the bell, whistle, brake squeal, or coupler clank. you will need to follow the instructions Phoenix provides for the control system you have.  If you are using track power and want your loco to make sounds while stopped you will need to add a battery to do so, if your loco is not battery powered.  Specific instructions are included for RCS, Airwire, Revolution Locolinc and others.

The phoenix instructions are basically step by step, carefully make each connection, then move to the next. Doing the bench test in the Phoenix instructions will be a good start and you will learn a lot by doing it.  I know it seems intimidating at times and it was for me when I did the first one, but give it a good try and I feel certain you will be successful.  If you have specific trouble call Phoenix, they are great and will work with you!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

So.....the C-19 does function as all was intended by Bachmann?  No diodes need to be installed, the optical sensors are not in reverse polarity...etc???  i have successfully installed Sierra sound in trailing cars and in the 4-6-0 tenders a long time ago...using magnets to activate the chuff.  The circuitry in the C-19 is all working as intended???....then i guess i am safe.   Thanks for your response!...and yes, Phoenix is great at giving you a hand, i have called them before when some things went wrong.

Loco Bill Canelos

I can't answer the optical sensor question, nor about adding diodes, but those would be great questions  to ask Phoenix about. 

Again good luck and have fun!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

ok...thank you Bill....and perhaps someone might be working on an installation...and let us know.  It woud be appreciated.

Tony Walsham

I take it this C-19 is to be used with regular DC track power, that is, controlled by a track side power pack, and is not fitted with any form of DCC or radio control or batteries.
1. If that is the case, then the Phoenix sound to use is the PB11, not the P8.  The PB11 has a back up battery to keep the sound alive for awhile after the loco has been stopped.
2. The Phoenix P8 is designed for use with constant track power with an onboard control system such as DCC or battery R/C etc.
3. Where regular variable track voltage is used for power, Sierra can be used as is without any modification. 
4. If the Sierra is to be used with DCC or on board battery powered R/C, other components will be needed.

The only Spectrum loco that had the chuff signal back to front was the K-27 and that can be easily corrected.  Since then all Spectrum locos have the chuff signal polarity correct.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

bob kaplan

Thank you for the info Tony....sounds like i might be able to give this one a try.
b