On 30 0-4-0 side rod mechanical running in conventional mode

Started by fredrick, November 19, 2012, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredrick

I installed the dummy plugs per the instructions, but the engine has a high start up speed and very little speed difference between low throttle and high throttle.  Is there something I missed or is this just the way it works in conventional mode?

NarrowMinded

Hi, you could keep all these related qeustions in a single post to lessen any confusion.

First bachmann to add to your other post Bachmann decoders are dual mode and should run on DCC or DC straight from the box unless changes are made.

What controller are you using?

If you are trying to run your locomotive with the jumpers in place you should be running it using a DC power pack and not your DCC controller.

You will read where systems like the ez command will run a DC locomotive but there is a chance it will burn up if left on the track.

If your using some other DCC system and your locomotive is running with nearly no control then it is running on the AC  that the DCC system provides to the track you should stop trying this until you read all the instruction and be sure they say you can do it.

NM-JEff

fredrick

I am using a DC power pack.  My other Bachmann locomotive a Porter 0-4-2, which is non DCC starts at a low voltage setting.  The 0-4-0 side rod mechanical, which says DCC has instructions on how to remove the DCC module and replace it with dummy jumpers.  Which I have done.  The issue is the engine starts like a rabbit and requires a higher voltage setting.  The question is this.  Is this normal, or should I reinstall the DCC module?  I don't want to burn the DCC module out if that is the result of running it on straight DC.

NarrowMinded

Hi,

It is not normal for it to take off like that, are you sure you have the jumpers in correctly and not opposite what they should be?

NM-Jeff

fredrick

I will check it again.  The diagram provided shows the jumpers to connect 8-1-and 2. and the other jumper  4-5-and 6.

fredrick

I removed and replaced the jumpers per the instructions and the engine acts the same.  Thanks for your help.  I'll live with it.  Happy Thanksgiving.