News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

not working

Started by rablee, November 10, 2012, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rablee

my new baldwin 4-6-0 ran for a few mintues started to run slow in some spots then sparkes came from the front and at track connections. now I get no power to train  ???

richg

What scale?

DCC or DC power?

We need more info.

Rich

rogertra

Are all the wheels on the track?  Sounds like it could be derailed.

rablee

dc dcc don't know, everything is as perfect as it was multiple times I put the cars on the track. except for those sparks the last time

James in FL

Hi rablee

I posted this a long time ago for someone else with a similar problem, maybe it will be helpful to you;

snip... "do you have a multi-meter at your disposal? This would make troubleshooting quick and painless.

If not, you can still pretty much isolate the problem using some crude measures.
We will assume all your rail joiners are connected properly, (double check this) and your locomotives wheels are all on the track
You state your controllers LED is on so you are getting some power to it,
Next step, are you getting any power out of it?
Cradle your locomotive upside down on its back in such a way as it is secure.
Get some wire, 2 pieces, and strip the ends, connect them to the power supply DC terminals one on each. Advance the power supply to about 50% and then touch the opposite ends to the locomotives power pick-up wheels. One to each opposite wheel, any sign of life?
Yes - the locos wheels turn, the problem is in the connection from the power supply to the track
No - the wheels don't turn, the problem is in the power supply or the loco.

To test the loco –
Get a 9v battery the type in most smoke alarms or alarm clocks.
Touch the known good battery to the loco wheels, again opposite side wheels.
Any sign of life?
Yes - the wheels turn, the loco is good
No - the wheels don't turn, the problem is in the locomotive (could be several things internally which is another thread).

To test the power supply without a meter -
Plug it in and advance to about 50%.
Briefly, and I mean split second briefly, deliberately short the circuit.
In a darkened room, using the same wires in the loco test, briefly touch the ends together.
Brush them past each other in a continuous motion rather than holding them connected to each other.
Spark? Yes? No?
Yes - the power supply is putting out current, the problem is in the connection from the controller to the track (if using EZ track check the red connecting wire) or in the terminal track itself.
No - the problem is in the output of the controller.

Even a brief short may cause the controllers internal circuit breaker to pop. If this happens, unplug the power supply and let cool for 20 minutes before plugging back in.

Please note you can severely damage any controller by creating a sustained shorting condition. Be careful here."

Try this and report back.

Good luck

rablee

I thank you soo very much! my problem looks like it is with the track (bad connection some where) I'm going to mess around with it for a while and see if I can figure it out. Your a great person for taking the time to give me all the good info.