Removing rail joins from E-Z Track

Started by VidGuy069, November 07, 2012, 11:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VidGuy069

I did a quick search on removing rail joins from e-z track.  I attempted this using needle nose pliers and only succeeded in pulling out the entire rail.  I need to replace the joins on the e-z track with code 83 - 100 joins for my swing bridge.

As always and all help is genuinely appreciated.

Sincerely,
VidGuy069
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

Joe Satnik

Dear VG,

Is the joiner spot welded to the rail?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jerrys HO

Vid

I remove them all the time as I solder feeder wires in. I use a pair of cutting pliers and bite as far in as I can. While holding the rail down so I don't break the spikes I wiggle it back and forth while gently pulling backwards on the joiner. They are crimped to the rail. A couple were tougher so I took a small pick and loosen the edges.

Jerry

jward

it seems a shame that to romove the joiner you have to destroy it. Isn't there a better way? how are you supposed to insulate for block control?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Jeff
I use the plastic (rubbery) joiners for my dead sidings. If the track changes and needs to be powered I use the Atlas terminal rail joiners for more feeders.

Jerry

jward

that's what i use most of the time. but i solder direcily to the rails for all my feeder connections. don't try that on steel track though.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

az2rail

Sorry, I can not help you. I have never had a problem removing or installing any of my railjoiners.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

NarrowMinded

To remove rail joiners from ez track  I use a pair of close cut nippers. I slide the flat side of the nippers right up to the the rail, I then sqeeze down enough to hold with out cutting through, I then rotate the cutter so the top back of the blade presses aginst the railhead this causes the joiner to break free and come off without pulling the track out of the ties, it does destroy the joiner but does not harm the rail.

NM-Jeff

Len

It sounds like Bachmann changed the joiner attachment method from the originals at some point. When did that happen?

I have a bunch of the original EZ-Track, and the joiners have been easy to remove since the first day I got it. No different than other brands of standard sectional track.

I've never had any problem switching out with plastic isolation joiners or terminal joiners. If they got too loose, and fell into the black hole loose rail joiners seem to disappear into, I just changed them out with Peco Code 100 joiners. The Peco's are a bit tight out of the package, but work well.

I can't understand why Bachmann would want to make it harder to do such a basic thing as switch rail joiners?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: NarrowMinded on November 07, 2012, 09:33:46 PM
To remove rail joiners from ez track  I use a pair of close cut nippers. I slide the flat side of the nippers right up to the the rail, I then sqeeze down enough to hold with out cutting through, I then rotate the cutter so the top back of the blade presses aginst the railhead this causes the joiner to break free and come off without pulling the track out of the ties, it does destroy the joiner but does not harm the rail.

NM-Jeff

I tried you method and I only loosen the rail from the ties.

I no longer try to remove the original clip.

When I need to gap a rail, I use my dremel.

I really wish Bachmann did not attach the joiners in such a way that people like me mangle the track. The only way I can use Bachmann track that has lost a clip is to shorten the piece so that I may attach a new clip.
Pacific Northern

richg

Welcome to one of the many joys of model railroading.
Bachmann would then have to be selling packs of pins. The company in China would have to strart shipping packs of pins. More manufacturing cost.
I remember that from my first days of Lionel trains when you could remove and lose the pins.
Every modeler should have a Dremel with diamond cutoff wheel.

Rich

Len

Quote from: richg on November 10, 2012, 08:52:32 PM
Welcome to one of the many joys of model railroading.
Bachmann would then have to be selling packs of pins. The company in China would have to strart shipping packs of pins. More manufacturing cost.
I remember that from my first days of Lionel trains when you could remove and lose the pins.
Every modeler should have a Dremel with diamond cutoff wheel.

Rich

Code 100 rail joiners are already available from Bachmann, item number 44499. They are also readily available from multiple other sources, e.g., Peco, Atlas, Shinohara, and Model Power.

Creating gaps is not the only reason for removing rail joiners. Trying to disguise the standard terminal track power connection can be a pain. And on larger curves where an added power connection is needed, using the standard terminal tracks isn't possible. In which case, many prefer to use 'terminal joiners' for power connections. They are easy to hide, and can be used with any radius curve.

So I can't understand why Bachmann would make it difficult to remove the rail joiners. It completely flys in the face of basic layout building.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

NarrowMinded

QuoteI tried you method and I only loosen the rail from the ties.

Thats odd, there should be no force pulling the the rail away from the ties at all

heres a video to help

http://s792.beta.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/20121110195709.mp4.html

NM-Jeff

NarrowMinded

QuoteI can't understand why Bachmann would make it difficult to remove the rail joiners. It completely flys in the face of basic layout building.

Bachmann EZ-track I believe was designed with the "SET" Buyers in mind.

These buyers don't want to deal with lost tiny joiners or having joiners that may both stay on one end of the track or fall off completely.

I know when my 5 and 8 year olds are snapping track together and pulling it apart they don't need to be dealing with joiners that are missing or in the wrong place or slide to far onto one track.

I think Bachmann has addressed the very idea of the most "Basic" layout and that is the one laid out on your floor with kids using their imaginations for the scenery.

NM-Jeff

Pacific Northern

Quote from: NarrowMinded on November 11, 2012, 12:08:10 PM
QuoteI tried you method and I only loosen the rail from the ties.

Thats odd, there should be no force pulling the the rail away from the ties at all

heres a video to help

http://s792.beta.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/20121110195709.mp4.html

NM-Jeff

The video explains it. Bachmann has changed the joiner.

The old joiners have a very noticeable crimp about 2/3 down the length of the joiner, the joiners in the video do not.

I am glad that Bachmann has changed the joiner, although I only use for Bachmann track on part of my layout and the rest of the layout is a mixture of flex track and some sectional track and switches.

Pacific Northern