News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Grass Mat - Attaching to Layout?

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 14, 2012, 07:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Hello,

I have purchased this grass mat product to attach to my simple 4x8 layout train layout.  It is a temp layout just for Christmas time.  I am looking to understand the best way to attach the grass mat to my plywood.  I have read using glue, but is there any other way to do it?  Wouldn't mind finding a way that allows me to reuse it each year.  I remember as a kid, my dad use to use tacks, but with small kids and animals around, hate to see a tack get stuck in someone's foot.

Appreciate the help.

the Bach-man

Dear Reap,
Try double-faced carpet tape.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Grim-

I'm guessing that you don't need to remove the grass mat from your plywood each year. That being the case, try
spray adhesive or plastic-safe adhesive caulk. Both have enough flexibility to stand up to handling and they won't dry
out like double-sided tape. Use a putty knife or mastic trowel to spread the caulk very thinly. It will cure pretty
quickly when spread like that so you might want to work your way across your board in stages. If you decide to go
with the tape, use carpet tape because it won't dry out either. 

Adhesive caulk will also do a good job of holding your track to the carpet mat since it has heavy body which will fill
the area between the irregular grass mat and the bottom of your track. I strongly urge you to use a unitary track
product which has the track already attached to plastic roadbed. Bachmann's EZ Track is one of several excellent
brands. It's to your advantage to stick with one brand of track because it can be annoying to connect different brands
together. The best technique would be to affix the grass mat, set up the track in its final position, hold it
in place with masking tape as needed, use a utility knife to cut through the grass all around the roadbed (taking care
not to move the roadbed as you go), remove the track, scrape the grass from under the tracks, and then glue the
roadbed and track directly to the wood. It took many words to describe that sequence but it will go quickly. The trick
is to make sure your track is all tightly and accurately connected before you cut around it.

For the sturdiness you'll need for a layout which will be handled, use 3/8" plywood and a 1"x3" or 1"x4" frame, with
cross pieces every 16". This will also give you the underboard space you need for wiring. Be sure to beef up the
center of the board if you plan to put your tree on it. Plywood is strong stuff but it will sag significantly if a tree sits on
it for several weeks. In addition to being unsightly, it can screw up your track to the point of operational problems,
particularly if you add features like turnouts (switches) or crossings.

Christmas layouts tend to be more funky that realistic, which is just fine, but I suggest that you add 1" or 2"
extruded foam insulation board on the top of your plywood if you plan a more detailed layout. That will enable you to
cut ditches or waterways into the surface, while staying below your roadbed. It will also afford the possibility of
adding a bridge. Incidentally, you can use the foam without any plywood if you won't be placing your tree on the
layout. That will save some cash and a lot of weight.

Have fun and good luck! And Happy Holidays!

-- D

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 14, 2012, 11:32:19 PM
Dear Reap,
Try double-faced carpet tape.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thank you for the tip.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Doneldon on November 15, 2012, 01:45:00 AM
Grim-

I'm guessing that you don't need to remove the grass mat from your plywood each year. That being the case, try
spray adhesive or plastic-safe adhesive caulk. Both have enough flexibility to stand up to handling and they won't dry
out like double-sided tape. Use a putty knife or mastic trowel to spread the caulk very thinly. It will cure pretty
quickly when spread like that so you might want to work your way across your board in stages. If you decide to go
with the tape, use carpet tape because it won't dry out either. 

Adhesive caulk will also do a good job of holding your track to the carpet mat since it has heavy body which will fill
the area between the irregular grass mat and the bottom of your track. I strongly urge you to use a unitary track
product which has the track already attached to plastic roadbed. Bachmann's EZ Track is one of several excellent
brands. It's to your advantage to stick with one brand of track because it can be annoying to connect different brands
together. The best technique would be to affix the grass mat, set up the track in its final position, hold it
in place with masking tape as needed, use a utility knife to cut through the grass all around the roadbed (taking care
not to move the roadbed as you go), remove the track, scrape the grass from under the tracks, and then glue the
roadbed and track directly to the wood. It took many words to describe that sequence but it will go quickly. The trick
is to make sure your track is all tightly and accurately connected before you cut around it.

For the sturdiness you'll need for a layout which will be handled, use 3/8" plywood and a 1"x3" or 1"x4" frame, with
cross pieces every 16". This will also give you the underboard space you need for wiring. Be sure to beef up the
center of the board if you plan to put your tree on it. Plywood is strong stuff but it will sag significantly if a tree sits on
it for several weeks. In addition to being unsightly, it can screw up your track to the point of operational problems,
particularly if you add features like turnouts (switches) or crossings.

Christmas layouts tend to be more funky that realistic, which is just fine, but I suggest that you add 1" or 2"
extruded foam insulation board on the top of your plywood if you plan a more detailed layout. That will enable you to
cut ditches or waterways into the surface, while staying below your roadbed. It will also afford the possibility of
adding a bridge. Incidentally, you can use the foam without any plywood if you won't be placing your tree on the
layout. That will save some cash and a lot of weight.

Have fun and good luck! And Happy Holidays!

-- D

Thank you for all the good information, was very helpful.  In my case, the grass will be temp and taken off each year since I actually have a folding 4x8 due to storage space limitations.  Therefore, looking for something I can take off and put on each year.  You also had some good ideas about adding foam and such which I will consider.  In my case, the tree will be sitting on the board, but still might be good so I can add more detail.  I also do own Bachmann trains and the eztrack.  Just haven't had a chance to setup yet until I get the board squared away:)

Thanks again.

Terry Toenges

Maybe just staple it around the edges, then pull the staples out when you're done. You could even hide the staples under the track.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe323

For a Christmas Layout that is going to be taken up every year I would use green or white felt rather than grass mat.  Its stronger and will fold at pick up time.

Ken G Price

Dear Mr. Reaper ;D
I always have used the double sided carpet tape for doing the same thing.
Fast, easy to put on or take off.
Have fun.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Joe323 on November 15, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
For a Christmas Layout that is going to be taken up every year I would use green or white felt rather than grass mat.  Its stronger and will fold at pick up time.

I use green and white flannel sheets. When you disassemble the layout, if you want to get rid of any dust or other small detritus that they may have picked up, just toss 'em in the washing machine and you're good to go.  :)

mabloodhound

Velcro Tape.   You can buy it in rolls with sticky backs and cut it into pieces to attach to the back of your grass and the plywood.   Removal is simple after that.
Check your local hardware store for Velcro.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

madmax75

Or tack board for carpeting screwd  in to sheet. Velcro or double side tape will probably work best