News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track layouts

Started by rabmeb, November 12, 2012, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabmeb

Hi everyone,

Can any of you recommend a source of track layouts using EZ track, numbers of straight, curve, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Jhanecker2

Rabmeb  :  there is a Bachmann  EZ Track Planning Book . Go to  the Online Product Catalog .  Go to HO Scale , then go to EZ track Accessories .  Go down the list to the Track Planning  Book.  J2.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Kalmbach Books publishes a track plan book called "101 More Track Plans" that includes HO layouts using EZ-Track, and just about all of the layouts in the Atlas 'True-Track Plan Book' can be done using EZ-Track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jhanecker2

Happen to have all of those books I like the Atlas books alot . I like the different methods they have of showing how to develope the different sub-assemblies.  J2

jward

i like the atlas books too.

you can pick a plan designed for atlas track, and use anyrail to redraw it for ez track.

the standard 18r, 22r curves ans 9" straights are dimensionally identical. the standard ez track 18r switch is the equivalent of an atlas 18r switch, with a 1/3 18r section added to the curved route.

most of the other curves and switches have no direct replacement in ez track which is why you need to redraw the plan with anyrail. the overall dimensions might be a little larger with ez track than with atlas, but most of the time you can make them work.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Rab - Why don't you design your own layout? There is a free model railroad design program (well, the trial version is free) called AnyRail5 that contains a whole library of Bachmann EZ-track. AnyRail is an easy program to use and its learning curve is fairly shallow. If you design your own track plan then you decide what is important - as opposed to 'settling' for someone elses design. Give it a try.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mf5117

Go to Thortrains.com some people use this site some don't . it can give you an idea of track pieces needed and some different configurations using 18 and 22 in radius track . the above post are also good resources as well . I built my first layout from this site and went way over board from there . you'll find you'll want more and more bigger and better . I'm still not satisfied . I want to cut a hole in the wall of my home and take it to the street . good luck have a blast and happy railroading.

mf5117

also try anyrail.com give you a chance to design your own layout . 50 pcs on the free trial . but gets you familiar with what you can do with your EZ TRACK

jward

Quote from: mf5117 on November 15, 2012, 07:04:35 PM
Go to Thortrains.com some people use this site some don't . it can give you an idea of track pieces needed and some different configurations using 18 and 22 in radius track . the above post are also good resources as well . I built my first layout from this site and went way over board from there . you'll find you'll want more and more bigger and better . I'm still not satisfied . I want to cut a hole in the wall of my home and take it to the street . good luck have a blast and happy railroading.

thor's site can give you some ideas, but you have to watch on his layouts for very sharp s curves. while those do not cause problems in the lionel type trains that are his first love, they can cause MAJOR operating headaches in HO.  my suggestion is that if you see a plan you like, post it here and we can help change it to eliminate those s curves.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

yes Jward I forgot about the s curves  . I did like i said and built one of the 4x8's and there was an s curve in one of the sidings and your right I do remember posting it and did get some help . thanks for the memories .

jward

most of the time the fix is pretty simple, rearranging a few track components. most of old heads have been through this before, and we can spot the things that can cause trouble. very rarely does a track plan have to be completely redone from scratch.

how did your plan work out?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

Actually quite well , I expanded to a 6x12 .added an upper loop and a mountain and logging yard . It's sad though , it sits there with no run time as well with my garden railroad as work and not enough time in the day just now . some day soon I hope to spend alot of time with my railroad again .

Jerrys HO

anyrail is a nice program to use. it helped me design and redesign my layout thirty something times. I only wish it had 3D capabilities.

Jerry

Skarloey Railway

Don't forget to look at the real thing. That should be your first place for finding inspiration.

And don't try to fit too much into one space.