What is the Difference between "Spectrum" and "Silver Series"

Started by 81F, November 18, 2012, 08:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

81F

I am new to Bachman US HO scale models and I was wondering what is the Difference between the "Spectrum" and "Silver Series" range of models.
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

wjstix

Spectrum is Bachmann's "top of the line" for train products. The Silver Series products are maybe a bit less detailed etc. I guess in Olympic medal terms, Spectrum would be "gold" and Silver Series would be "silver".  ;)

Pacific Northern

Silver series relates to rolling stock.  There is a notation in the catalog that they have blackened metal wheels, non-magnetic axles and body mounted couplers.

Previously Bachmann had a line of rolling stock with plastic wheels and truck mounted couplers, apparenelty they no longer produce that line, only the Silver Series.

I think that is the difference, a higher quality.

Spectrum which in HO and N refers to engines, yet in On30 and G scale seems to refer to both.

Perhaps the Bach Man could explain
Pacific Northern

jward

silver series cars differ from the standard train set cars in thet they have metal wheels and added weight. both types feature body mounted knuckle couplers. the days or the truck mounted horn hook couplers and pizza cutter wheels are long gone, thankfully.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

81F

Many thanks for the info. I'm glad it's just an issue of quality. Having said that even the most basic of American models appear to have more detail thansome of the offering in the UK (not Bachmann). However, Bachmann UK still use truck mounted horn and hook couplings, albeit narrow ones. Having said that they are easily changes for the wider "Thomas" couplings which were standard up until a few years ago and are carried by most of my models.
Modelling the Great Western Railway in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with a few bits from elsewhere!

jbrock27

I just bought some 2nd hand Silver Series rolling stock and really like the details, metal wheels and weight.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

To all

Be careful as all silver series rolling stock DID NOT come with metal wheels. They did have knuckles though. The first run of the silver series had the better detail and knuckles but not the wheels. Plastic wheels were still being used.
I purchased a few like this on E- Bay and from a hobby shop that had the older one's still in their inventory.

Jerry

jbrock27

Jerry, my Silver Series box, which matches the box car that came in it, advertises metal wheels and came with metal wheels.  It also has knuckle couplers.  Sooooo,  what Silver Series run are you referring to?  And would you not be able to tell before buying one, what kind of wheels and couplers it has?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

QuoteSooooo,  what Silver Series run are you referring to?  And would you not be able to tell before buying one, what kind of wheels and couplers it has?

You know what jbrock? If I knew that answer I would have said which run. Did Bachmann have an earlier run? Only the Bachmann can answer this.
As far as being able to tell if it has metal wheels, no I could not tell in the pic as my magnet would not stick to the computer screen. The one's I bought from the hobby shop were old stock that I did not pay attention to or at that time could care less because of the deal the owner gave me on them.
All silver series I have bought has knuckles,that was never a question,as I was just stating what I noticed.
All of the newer stuff I have purchased has the metal wheels.
This was a just a warning so if anyone is buying on e-bay if it does not say it has metal wheels and you can not see it very well, ask before buying.
Oh and I forgot to mention all the silver series boxes looked the same.

Jerry

jbrock27

Take it easy Jerry.  You don't need to be upset with me for not paying attention to what you purchased.
I appreciate your tip on the boxes looking the same.
I guess the lesson to be taken away from this is:

#1 Read the box
#2 Ask questions about the rolling stock
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

QuotePosted by: jbrock27    Posted on: Today at 04:53:45 AM
Insert Quote
Take it easy Jerry.  You don't need to be upset with me for not paying attention to what you purchased.

Trust me I am not upset with you and you are correct by saying I was not paying attention as I assumed they all had metal wheels. Could they have been switched out by seller,possible. Could they have made an early run without metal wheels,possible.
Soooo that's what I am referring to!

Jerry

jbrock27

I am glad
All I was trying to do was figure out what you were trying to say with regard to what kind of Silver Series to look out for that did not come with metal wheels-basically what to look for and how to identify them as such.   I did not know that all Silver Series rolling stock were not created equal-you are the first to point that out-thanks again, the info is appreciated.
I take if from what you since said, the only way to tell is to read the box (assuming it matches what is in it) and ask the question about whether it comes with metal wheels.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

it was my impression that the whole reason for silver series is to differentiate the premium line with metal wheels and weighted to nmra standards, as opposed to the standard line with plastic wheels and lighter weight. because of that, I have found the silver series perform very well right out of the box, while the standard line need weight added to run well. both are a drastic upgrade over the old talgo trucked cars with horn hook couplers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

I have to agree Jeff that is why my rolling stock is 90% Bachmann Silver Series. I guess as Mr. Brock stated I have to pay more attention.

The answer to the original poster is what Pac No quoted.

If I have the money at hand I prefer to buy the Spectrum or even the Plus models than the train set loco's. I have a few a the cheaper train set loco's that with a little detailing and changing the decoder turn out really nice.

The Silver Series rolling stock is overall the best bang for your buck. Add a little weight and a little weathering and they are spectacular.

Jerry

jbrock27

So, just so we are all on the same page, is it a true and correct statement to say that unless someone has screwed around with a Bachmann Silver Series freight car, it comes stock with metal wheels?
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On