News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EBT questions

Started by jsmvmd, November 19, 2012, 10:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

As I and family will be going to ride the Rockhill Trolley this weekend, thoughts of the EBT came flooding in. 

Does anyone have an update other than the website?

http://www.ebtrr.com/

Thank you in advance.  A Happy Thanksgiving and peace and quiet to all.

Jack, Altoona, PA

richg

You might post this question at the below site also. Many more people at the forums.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/740.aspx

I assume you have been to Steamtown and the nearby trolley line.

Rich

ebtnut

There is no official word yet on any future operations on the EBT.  Negotiations between the owner and the recent lease holder for operations are on-going at last report.  Restoration work by FEBT continues on the shop buildings and Combine 14, and the trolley museum continues to operate.  It may not be until early next year before any decisions are made on getting the trains rolling again. 

jward

is it money that's the problem? last time i was there (2006) they were seriously looking into expanding operations to mt union.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on November 19, 2012, 02:17:04 PM
is it money that's the problem? last time i was there (2006) they were seriously looking into expanding operations to mt union.

Jeff-

If I understand correctly, it's a little more complicated than that but the bottom line is, yes, money. Ain't it always?

-- D

ebtbob

ebtnut,

I stopped by Orbisonia on my way home from my annual October weekend on the west slope of NS.   I had a chance to speak to a member of the trolley group.
     The first thing he told me was that Orbisonia is really hurting due to the lack of tourism.   The second thing he told was that there was two levels of funding for operating the railroad that had been approved for next year.   Do you have any knowledge of this funding and how many levels of funding is needed to run the trains?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jsmvmd

Gents,

Thanks for the information.  It does not surprise me that there is reduced tourism at Orbisonia.  It is a pretty far poke for lots of folks.  My own kids demur at the 75 min drive from Altoona, for crying out loud !  On another matter, the distance to Altoona is probably a reason why the train museum went to Strasburg.  Our Altoona Railroaders Museum is wonderful but suffers from lack of attendance.

ebtnut

Note that Mt. Union was also in the running for the RR Museum site.  Had that occurred, the EBT's tourist-era history would likely have been far different. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on November 27, 2012, 01:20:11 PM
Note that Mt. Union was also in the running for the RR Museum site.  Had that occurred, the EBT's tourist-era history would likely have been far different. 

I wonder. Would the average tourist trek out there to see the trains without the additional tourist draws that are found in Lancaster County?

Doneldon

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on November 27, 2012, 02:48:38 PM
I wonder. Would the average tourist trek out there to see the trains without the additional tourist draws that are found in Lancaster County?

J-J:

Some would, but fewer.

-- D