One Way Williams won't work!

Started by stubbsO, November 21, 2012, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubbsO

I'm guessing that my E-unit has finally taken a dump as for the past couple years it would only work one way. When that happened I looked and there were no broken wires. I was running it last night when all of a sudden it stopped, triggering the direction button does nothing. The lights and the sound board are the only thing working. Ideas or thought's? Thanks

Hi stubbsO,

671 here. The loco that is having this problem, does it have a single can motor or a dual can motor drive?
            If it is a single can motor i.e. a Steam loco, try this simple trick.
            Remove the loco's shell and locate the electronic "E" unit. trace the two wires from the can motor back to the E unit. they will terminate at a plug. The Eunit is designed to control two motors, It should have an empty plug receptacle directly next to the can motor plug. Simply remove the can motor plug from it's current location, and plug it into the empty plug socket. Test unit. If it works, reassemble loco and have fun.
             The E unit has two circuits to control two motors. When it is used in a single motor configuration, there is little wear and tear on the miniature relay contact points of the none used circuit. You should get additional long use out of the E unit.
             If you have two can motors, the electronics of the Eunit board may have failed.
             Purchase a new replacement Eunit from Trainland on line approx $30-$35 dollars. Simple wiring  and you are back to having fun.

I hope this helps you...671

stubbsO

Nope, 2 motors. I'll make note of that as I have a steamer 681. Thanks anyway