News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Size and weight of Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by NevinW, February 10, 2007, 03:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

Can anyone give me information about the approximate gross weight, driver diameter, and approximate builders date for the prototype of th Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0.  I understand it is an IC prototype.  Thanks -  Nevin

SteamGene

Lanny sure should be able to do that.  My understanding is that it's a late Consolidation - 1920-1930 build date.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

caboose101

I have the Bachmann B&O model No. 2784, an actual road number.  The following comes from "B&O Power" by Sagel and Staufer:

Builder:  Richmond
Year:  1910
B&O Class:  E27b
Cyl:  22" × 30"
Drivers:  62"
Weight:  220,370 lb.
Tractive Pwr.:  40,800 lb.
Steam Pressure:  205 psi.
Walchert valve gear.

There was a lot of experimentation and modification to more than 200 locos of this subclass over the years.  Many of them lasted until the end of steam.  No. 2784 was renumbered 207 in its final years.

Not sure which road was the prototype for the Bachmann model.  Anyway, it's been a fine looker and runner.

Regards,

Caboose101

NevinW

Interesting!  The Las Vegas and Tonopah RR had 3 2-8-0s # 30-32 with 57 inch drivers that weighed 220000 Lbs.  with 22x30 cylinders.   The were built 1907 ans sold to the LA & SL in 1918.

I can't find any pictures of these engines anywhere.  They are not is Myrrick's book.  Although there might be something in a UP photo roster.  Does anyone know if there is such a website for UP.  I know I can find a photo of about any class engine owned by the B&O and WM. 

It looks like these 2-8-0s would be a good start for a T&G, LV&T, T&T model railroad.  The 4-6-0's are dead ringers. - Nevin 

lanny

The Spectrum 2-8-0 is very close to an ICRR #900 series 2-8-0 (see photo below of #907). This series Conso were 'big' locomotives (but had 'shorty' tenders, shorter than the Spectrum tender). I don't have driver diameter (if Ray Breyer is online, he could give that info), but if you place a Spec 2-8-0 next to the Spectrum Heavy Mountain, though noticabley shorter in length, it is surprising to see that has a taller boiler (not 'longer'!), in short, a 'big' locomotive'. (As others have mentioned, the Spec 2-8-0 is a beautiful running locomotive).

One other note: ICRR also had #700 series 2-8-0s. Those had smaller diameter drivers, were older series, and were overall smaller.

Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, with some simple revisions is very, very similar to the ICRR 2-8-0. (Wish it were possible to buy the Spectrum cabs for kit-bashing other locomotives!)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

lanny

I'm going to try that photo again to see if I can get it larger.

Two tries ... a #908 ICRR and the #907

hope it works

lanny nicolet

lanny

Nope ... sorry. don't know how to get them larger. I use "imageshack" and these images are both less then 640x480 size, as posted in my Imageshack folder.

lanny n

John C

The Bach-Man has a good number of pix in the gallery on the Connies - including one with an all weather cab in CPR lettering - which looks amazingly similar to the brass one that I have.  Reading the other posts it looks like an awful lot of railroads had 2-8-0's that looked similar to the Spectrum one - which IS a very good runner.

ebtnut

The Bachmann Connie is closest to the IC locos, but is pretty much a "standard" Baldwin engine from the 1910-1920 period.  It is really a "medium" Consol, as compared to the biggest ones on the WM, Reading, and D&H.  I would note that the original B&O E-27s were built with slide valves and Stephenson valve gear.  All were later up-graded with piston valves, superheat, and Baker gear.  Some lasted almost to the end of B&O steam.  Consolidations were supplanted on main line freights by locos with trailing trucks, which supported bigger fireboxs and hence generated more horsepower.  They were, however, maids of all work, used on local freights, passenger locals, switching, etc.

ebtnut

Oooops, my bad.  The E-27's got Walschearts gear when there were rebuilt, not Baker.  You can make a reasonable facsimile of an E-27 by raising the headlight on the Bachmann model to the top of the smokebox front, and reversing the position of the bell and sand dome.