First cold weekend, playing in the basement!!

Started by Cobrabob8, November 24, 2012, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrabob8

rOgruth,
My lower level tunnels will probably only have walls for the first 8 to 12 inches. The tunnel on the upper level is double tracked and about two feet long on a curve. It will have walls the full length of it as it is in a prominent location. One will be able to lean down and watch the train comming around the bend with the headlight glowing.
Cobrabob.

The other tunnel portal will be located at the bottom of the photo. You can see one at the top of the photo. You will just slightly be able to see out the other end. I am also putting a roof on the tunnel. That way the steam locomotives will be able to fill the tunnel with smoke like the real thing!
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

Cobrabob8

Here is my Williams Pennsy Hudson steam locomotive comming out of the tunnel.
Cobrabob.

In the older photo below, the ends of the tunnel are going to be at the signal bridge at the top of the photo and by the fourth coal hopper above the house.

coolwaldo

Cobra: That is solid looking table you built. Looks strong enough to park a Mustang on it. LOL Coolwaldo
Be happy. Play with your trains.

Cobrabob8

Coolwaldo,
There is a Mustang parked on my layout! In the lower right hand corner of this photo!!! :D
Cobrabob.

And one in my garage! ;D

r0gruth

Cobob,

Make sure that you have accessto the inside of the tunnels
because if something happens in a tunnel you want to be able
to fix the problem.This is especially true for longer tunnels.
Roger

Cobrabob8

Roger,
Thanks. Will do. I have already thought of that. I learned that years ago on an HO layout I built as a teen.  ;)
Thanks, Bob.

Cobrabob8

Okay, I worked on my tunnel some more today. It is slowly getting there. I got some of the walls up. I need to finish the other tunnel portal supports and run the walls up to it. I ballasted some of the tunnel also. In one photo you can see my Williams by Bachmann Baldwin Shark diesel going on a "Test Fit".
Cobrabob.

The curves inside of the tunnel are 48 and 60 inch diameter. Hopefully that will lessen the odds of any derailments. Actually, knock on wood, I have had none in this area in the three years since I built the layout. The tunnel is short enough that I can reach into it from either end.

stationmaster12

Great pics of a great layout. i'd love to see it in action! Do you have videos of it in action?
Thanks!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

M1FredQ

Cobra

The pre-fab walls are GREAT!!!!!

Where do they come from???

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Well done Bob! I for one, am quite jealous :P ...;D

r0gruth

Fred,

The rock walls are available from Scenic Express and are available in several styles.
If you want smaller rocks you can use HO walls.

www.scenicexpress.com
Roger

Cobrabob8

Thanks everyone for the compliments. The tunnel portals and matching wall are from Scenic Express and the tunnel walls (random stone) are from Micro Mark. The random stone walls are actually a self adhesive paper sheet which I applied to foam board walls. The foam board is stapled and glued to 1x4 supports. I plan on ballasting inside the tunnels and then putting a ceiling on the tunnel. After the tunnel is finished I will build the mountain over it.
Cobrabob.

Hi Cobrabob,

I know that you like the PRR. Take a look at the 'Wholesale Trains' Website. WbyB EP5 on sale!!!
$81.99 each. I have a EP5 New Haven, good puller/runner. Time to add a new 'Pony' to the stable.

M1FredQ

Thanks rO:

What a web site a lot of great stuff available to get the jobs done looking good!!!!

All of you are great resources it is appreciated