American Civil War Locomotives

Started by CROMWELL, August 03, 2007, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

;) Scot,

Very good links  to the pretty pitchures HEHEHE.

I belong to the 9th Mississippi Light Artillery my great great great Grandpa was a private in that group at Siege of Vicksburg in 1863. One reason I love big guns lol He was a brakeman before the war on the Alabama and Vicksburg Railroad that ran from the Eastern border of MS to  Vicksburg, MS
Most steamers in the War only weighed between 25-60 tons had whale oil headlights and no automatic lubrication on the slide rod valve gear which they used tallow or other forms of grease. 99% of all locomotives in the South were 5 foot gauge and were wood burners with the tenders carrying 10-12 cords of wood and around 100 gallons of water. I have a vvery good book here long out of print that covers alot of Early American Railroad history operations and folklore it was published in 1940 and the Word Diesel is not mentioned once! My kind of book.

The Hawthorne village set is pure fantasy nothing like it ever degraced Southern Rails a typical  Civil War train would of been of one or two 4-4-0s 0-6-0s 4-2-0 Norris  even in some places 30' wood boxcars flat cars for cannon and horses even troops a water car maybe and some woreout passenger cars remember the caboose did not exsist during the Civil War it came afterwards.

the two trains on the top shelf are my Civil War troop trains the Battleships and 86 foot boxcars came along alot later lol.

Stephen

ray tomblin

Hi David,

Yes you are 100% right the Ads are very misleading. So guess I will install a wall shelf above my layout, and that is where I shall park the little lady, with all my box cars, flat cars and cannons. It will at least be nice to display. I also have the Civil war structures. The Grace house, Court house and the Train station.

Ray

Woody Elmore

to Great Western: as the son of a native South Carolinian I do not understand why you should not want to use the word "Dixie." It is a generic term for the old south. whether the word is good or bad depends on context.

The L&N used the slogan "the Dixie Line"and I think maybe the NC&StL did also. There were also southern democrats in congree called Dixiecats.

If you are modelling a period prior to 1960 the word would have certainly turned up on L&N freight cars.

I was very surprised to find out that my nieces, who are now both in the University of South Carolina, had never heard the tune "Dixie."

The use of the battle flag is another issue entirely. I know that the captured Confederate battle flags that were on display in Grant's Tomb in Manhattan were removed two decades ago, ostensibly for "preservation" but in fact due to complaints of locals who felt that the Confederate flags were degrading. Some of them only recently reappeared on display. I haven't visited since they did a restoration on the tomb but I bet there are no confederate national flags - just regimental flags.

Great Western

Hi Woody,
                  Having problems with this site here,  This is the third attempt at a reply.
  I didn't say I wouldn't use the word "Dixie", after all I mentioned that I have a Dixie logo on one of my Big Hauler tank cars.  The comment was made that in certain quarters the word could cause me problems.   However, I feel safe enough at this distance away   :D
Best wishes,    Alan

SteamGene

THB Dave,
I've seen the ad, and I agree, their ads can be very deceptive.  The flag they show in the ads is, IIRC, a representation of the Confederate naval jack, which was the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia turned into a rectangle.  The battle flag carried by soldiers was a square, the size varying among infantry, cavalry, and artillery units with infantry carrying the largest and the cavalry the smallest. 
As to the name, I've always maintained that "American Civil War" is a misnomer as every other civil war I know of - like the English Civil War of Oliver Cromwell fame - was a war to determine who governed the country and with what kind of government.  Correct names for the Late Unpleasantness could be:
The War of the Rebellion (used by the Union during the war)
The War for Southern Independence
The War Between the States
All of the above are accurate and neutral.
Then we get
The War of the Yankee Invasion and others like it which show a definite bias.   :D

I think the first Consolidaiton, whether built in 1865 or 1866, came after April, 1865 and most folks consider the end of the war occured when Lee surrendered, even if the Army of the Tennessee, which was now in North Carolina, didn't surrender until a few weeks later and some Texans held out even longer. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"