News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Power

Started by Hamoper, November 28, 2012, 11:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamoper

I have an HO scale oval EZ Track layout.  I have added a 3rd loco but now it is noticeably running slower with the power pack that came with the train set.  What do I need in order to run the train set at normal speed?  I don't really want to invest in a booster for $375.00 if that is what it takes..... :o

jward

since i assume you are not running dcc, a booster would do you no good.

try looking into dc power packs with a higher current rating.

http://www.modelrec.com/train-controls/dc-power-tech4.asp
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Ham-

I'm guessing from your post that you want to run three locos on a single oval that you have DCC. If I am incorrect, please ignore me and follow jward's excellent advice.

There are only two ways to increase the capacity of a DCC system: Add a booster or change systems. You don't have to use a booster from the same manufacturer as your control system. This means you don't have to buy the pricey Bachmann booster (which, by the way, is available on line and on eBay for significantly less than list price) but can use any booster which satisfies your power needs. The only problem, actually more of a hassle than a problem, is that you'll probably need to get a Bachmann cable which you can splice into in order to adapt the proprietary connectors. Cheaper, and easier, would be obtaining a different, more powerful entry-level system. I urge you to start with Bachmann's excellent Dynamis system and then see what other manufacturers offer.

Whichever way you go, good luck and have fun.

-- D