I need a controller for MTH 3 rail and On30- Help, new guy!

Started by Burlington Route, December 01, 2012, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

Going by the last post...I'd only need two controllers.....the Lionel and K-Line engines are the standard style -no DCC or anything, it's only the On30 Bachmann and the MTH proto 2 Zephyr that have special needs for full sounds and functions.

Burlington Route

Quote from: Doneldon on December 04, 2012, 12:10:24 AM
Burl-

If your outside corner causes reception problems you can get a centralized receiver or put a couple of small mirrors in the room to spread the IR around. It tends to bounce around naturally so you might not need any remediation but there is help if you need it.

-- D

Now that's a neat idea!{Mirrors}  I planned on the controller shelf being in the front corner of the layout so we could swing either way.

phillyreading

If you only have one engine to use with any command control set-up, I would wait until I had three or more engines to buy any command control system. Prices for command control in O gauge can be around $300.00 for the base and handheld remote.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Update- Today I tried the MTH 0-8-0 switcher out, was bought as "never ran"{clean wheels/pick ups and only $86!), and put a 9v battery in for quick playing. Not happy with the results using the Lionel CW80....whistle and bell were reversed and the chuff rate was way off after roughly 1/2 throttle...almost sounded like the unit was confused signal wise. OK, so I know a far better controller is in order so we can run this and my MTH zephyr. I tried...
For the last 2 weeks we've been running our lionel GP 9 bangor and aroostook intermittantly...she's a real buzzer- sound wise...so much so that I pulled it to take a look at the relay as I suspect it may have an issue since it's sooo loud. Maybe it's just me...since it "looks" fine{how to test correctly?} The darn K-line 2-6-4 steamer keeps derailing the front truck on our loop right where the tree cord goes under the track...could use more tension!{yeah, or a smoother transistion I suppose-hehehe}

I pulled the trigger on a Dynamis system...it's enroute as we speak. This way I can better control the 2-6-6-2 sounds better...the wife is getting a tad ticked that the boy and I are frequently setting up and loop on the kitchen floor to "play"...the sound is rather loud for she and the daughter in the living room I guess.....doesn't bug us?!

Lastly, I bought a weaver FM trainmaster body in O gauge...the intent is to shorten it as needed after finding a dcc HO running chassis for under it. The boy and I are wanting a narrow gauge diesel for our On30 rails...and "no", I'm not a rivet counter or prototype nut...there's nothing "modern" out there yet for On30 so we'll make our own. My son and I are agreed that we like the tweener years where steam and diesel ran together before steam was phased out. -Helps that my grandfather worked for the CB&Q/BN roundhouse here in town...I'm an anything pre BN kind of guy...though cascade green in "Burlington"{no Northern}, C&S and FW&D works fine too. To each our own....

Doneldon

Burl-

I'm not at all sure that a new controller will correct the out-of-sync issue with your 0-8-0 chuff or its bell/whistle reversal. Those matters are decoder related. I would guess the somebody who "never ran" the loco changed some of the programming, messing up the sounds in the process. A reset to default might well clear it up for you. Assuming you get things straightened out, you got an excellent buy on that machine.

I'll bet you are missing a spring between the top of the pony truck and the bottom of the frame on your Pacific. Try putting some weight on the top of the truck if you can't locate a replacement for the spring.

Your new Dynamis will allow you to adjust the sound so your wife doesn't report you to the EPA for noise pollution.

You might try kitbashing an S-gauge loco body on an HO frame for your On30 diesel. I think the smaller size of the S body will look better
with your other O-scale narrow gauge equipment than would a full scale O-scale body. Narrow gauge stuff is really quite a bit smaller than
full size.

-- D

Burlington Route

Don, the 0-8-0 is a weird set up, sound wise. Creep her and the chuff seems fine, but as soon as you kick up the throttle is gets out of whack...add revesed bell and whistle when using the lionel controller. This is why I'll need the proper controller for that engine, so I can try to reprogram it. The same controller could be used for my mth zephyr so it'd be a win/win...maybe I could find a slightly used one...I seem to be lucky lately!

I looked for S scale diesel bodies and came up short and that FM O scale body was only $11 so I'm not out much at present.....a whimiscal diesel is a sure thing so far. I'm not a rivet counter...for my day job the ACE and Impax units count the rivets I make...I just buy/build, kitbash, or scratch what I like.

The K-line 4-6-2 never had a spring, but that doesn't mean I can't find one..or your weight idea...she needs something!

Soon I'll have the dynamis so we can quiet things down while running..."mute" just isn't the answer....and with a 7 and 10yr old, "quiet" is all too rare a thing around these parts...

phillyreading

Burl,
Get your MTH 0-8-0 engine off the CW-80 as of yesterday! MTH and the CW-80 don't mix in any way shape or form, especially if it is PS-2 by MTH. >:(
Use an MTH Z-1000 or an Atlas or Williams 80 watt transformer with it, or use the ZW by Lionel.

Don,
Are you mainly into H.O.? If so you may not know that the Lionel CW-80 puts out a chopped wave compared to a regular sign-wave for A.C. voltage and that is why MTH with PS-2 fail miserably with the CW-80. It is the only transformer that don't play well with MTH PS-2 equipped engines.

In H.O. you have command control standards, with O scale or O gauge we don't have NMRA standards as yet and everything is more of a hit & miss venture for the buyer unless he is well informed about what he has bought and how to use the product.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Quote from: phillyreading on December 17, 2012, 02:08:53 PM
Burl,
Get your MTH 0-8-0 engine off the CW-80 as of yesterday! MTH and the CW-80 don't mix in any way shape or form, especially if it is PS-2 by MTH. >:(
Use an MTH Z-1000 or an Atlas or Williams 80 watt transformer with it, or use the ZW by Lionel.
Done..and thank you for the heads up!

-with O scale or O gauge we don't have NMRA standards as yet and everything is more of a hit & miss venture for the buyer unless he is well informed about what he has bought and how to use the product.
...That's why I'm here...for the knowledge!
Lee F.

phillyreading

Glad to help you.
Anyway O gauge needs to have some command control standards set, at least that is my concern about it. The two larger companies have competing systems rather then complimentary systems like H.O., meaning that you will need two completely seperate systems to run both styles of command control in O gauge trains. :P
At one time even K-Line had a remote control set-up on the market, not sure what it did, but there was at least one more type of control system. ;D

Now WBB has a remote control for the Williams operating cars listed under Williams accessories.

As for transformer power abilities, the CW-80 don't work with most MTH, the MRC transformers have some drawbacks but not as bad as a CW-80.
I am still using the older ZW's made during the 1960's because of their power abilities and being durable, won't fall apart like some of the new transformers do.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Lee, I thought about a ZW but with the now 2 MTH units that would've been the wrong move for me for lack of CV control. Trying to set any MTH CVs with a standard controller{clinks/clanks} is a really P.I.T.A.. I'll start searching around for an MTH full controller. This is somewhat expected for me...no shock the train companies want proprietary controllers for their engines...they wouldn't want you going and buying a Lionel controller for your MTH engine or backwards from that...no extra company revenue that way. Built it brand loyalty for the most part...

phillyreading

FYI, I am usually not brand loyal but some things just require a certain brand's transformer or controller.
MTH's Z-4000 has the increment adjustment or set features for most MTH built-in or can be accessed very easily for most MTH products. Basically it makes MTH resets and other features of MTH sort of a breeze instead of a pain in the seat. That might be the only reason I would ever consider buying the Z-4000, the cost is very high for me compared to my current salary, of partial unemployment.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Lee, are you saying the Z4000 can do CV's?...or just minor resets?
I'm on a budget too my friend. Being only 47yrs old has its good and bad points...still got a while to go before retirement....too long!...but I've also got a few too many irons in the fire at the moment as well...got an old car to rehab, house repairs{are either ever done?!} and then other things added into the mix...I/we need a raise! ;D

phillyreading

From what I am reading into the information on the MTH Z-4000, you can scroll or go to the step level you want without having to go thru most of the painful steps associated with a Z-1000.

Burl, I have to sqeek out a mere existance some weeks, have bankruptcy payment to make every month for the next 27 months, partial employment/threat of total job loss, and I am still about 11 years away from retirement age or Social Security payments if the money will last from the government. Just applied for unemployment benefits, will see what happens, you can claim partial unemployment or at least that is what I was told by the human resource person at my job.
Also have a car that needs replacing, 98 Camry, windshield leaks like a screen window, shocks moan & groan over bumps in road, trunk has leaks.

Lee F.

Burlington Route

Lee, I appreciate the help...wish there was a way to help you find what you need! As for the car...my glass and seals leak too, but thats because it's all origonal on my car....bet it's easier to find parts for yours than for a 40 plymouth sedan.
Happier holidays!

Ken G Price

After reading the discussion here and many other post like this over time, I have to ask: can not the electrical internals of a MTH O engine be replaced with a DCC decoder board? I see that there are many on the market. That way every thing plays together with the Dynamis DCC System.

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/