With decoder installed Acela runs for short time them stops

Started by Billm10454, December 08, 2012, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billm10454

I installed 2 different decoders in the Acela. The first one was an NCE D14SR, the second one was a TCS MC2P-SH. They both will run for approximately 5 or ten minutes then they stop. Do I have to cut what look like resistors that are on the board. The board has a date on it 08/04/01. The decoders do not feel hot when the train stops. Thanks

richg

Quote from: Billm10454 on December 08, 2012, 02:01:34 PM
I installed 2 different decoders in the Acela. The first one was an NCE D14SR, the second one was a TCS MC2P-SH. They both will run for approximately 5 or ten minutes then they stop. Do I have to cut what look like resistors that are on the board. The board has a date on it 08/04/01. The decoders do not feel hot when the train stops. Thanks

Those green things are not resistors. They are inductors. Just cut the caps.  The caps are identified by a C. The inductors should have a L. Resistors, a R. Diodes, a D.
The caps only affect slow speed running with some decoders.

We need more info. Do the trains star again if you touch them?
Do they refuse to start for say five minutes?

I have never had that with those decoders.

Are you using DCC or DC to control them?
If they hesitate and then start, probably dirty track.

Rich

jward

it kinda sounds like the decoder is going into thermal shutdown. how much surrent is your locomotive pulling (stall current)? when it shuts down is the decoder hot?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Billm10454

Thanks for all the good info about how resistors and the other components are marked. I know that will come in hady in the future. It will not run if you touch it after it stops. The decoders are not hot. Sometimes they will run if I try them the next day. I am using DCC. After I posted this message it was running it for over an hour with no problem at all. Thanks again for the help.

Patrick Durand

Do you have more than one throttle hooked up to your DCC system?    If so you may have had another throttle with the same address set to 0 for speed.     Stuff happens.

Billm10454

I think the problem is with one brush on the motor. I took it apart and applied pressure to the brush and it ran better. Put it back together and has been running good.

richg

Quote from: Billm10454 on December 18, 2012, 12:20:23 PM
I think the problem is with one brush on the motor. I took it apart and applied pressure to the brush and it ran better. Put it back together and has been running good.

Good trouble shooting.

I had that issue with the HO two motor 44 ton. The brush would hang up some times.

ONE drop of CRC 2-26 on the brush holder seemed to take care of that. Home Depot is one place that sells the stuff.

Rich