Great Finds While in Florida

Started by M1FredQ, December 08, 2012, 02:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

While visiting in Ft. Lauderdale last week I had a chance to visit the

"Hobby Super Store" which has one of the largest train depts I have seen.

Sadly this trip I found the Train Dept reduced and more space devoted to "Sets".

A lot of the stock has been sold off in big sales but there still are 2 aisles of engines

and rolling stock. In the "sell off" aisle I found a few gems which made the trip worth

it!!  There was a Williams O-Gauge F-7 A/A set in none other than Atlantic Coast Line

markings the famous "Purple" color markings!!!!!!!!!!!! The packaging was damaged

and the shrink wrap gone. I found it accidently in back of the top shelf. The manager

opened it. I have never seen a model with these markings only pictures. My friend

who was with me and is not into the hobby was very impressed with the models.

Several of the customers who were shopping came over to look at the engines. One

person said if I don't want it he would buy it!!!!!!!!! I have been looking for ACL for a

long time. I didn't know Williams/Bachmann had made an F-7. The photos do not do

enough justice to the beauty of these engines.

Next was a incredible deal on a Peter Witt "Philadelphia" in O-Gauge. Once again, my

son and I have talked about them. Personally I would have loved a Chicago however

the price was incredibly affordable and we have PRRrepresented on our layout.

Lastly was a Williams Bachmann NW-2 Seaboard which we had been looking for.

I took the 3 back to Chicago with me aboard the plane and had TSA pull me over to

look them over. One fella knew model trains talked to me about these items and then

quickly passed me through with out a hassle!!!!!

If you are in the area stop by there were a lot of items on sale at great prices and

help support our favorite hobby.

I am also noticing more after market companies making more buildings, trees etc at

about our scale for very affordable prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Hunting

phillyreading

It is nice that you found something you like at that store near University and I-595, I think it is called Warren's Hobby Shop. Somebody on OGR mentioned that he is getting out of model trains, at least the larger sizes like S & O gauge trains.

I found a nice deal on a slightly older WBB engine at Western Depot, pre-holiday sale, beat the current holiday price by $10.00.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Lee

Sounds like you know the area!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just changed names same owner now its "Maniac's"!!

My poor credit card was almost in meltdown but since I used points for my plane tickets

I figured it was a nice trade off. I have been in there before and it's sad the train section

is being reduced. Many of the items on sale are at the "cost" to the store price and

being the barter I am they will knock a little more off if you are buying a couple other

pieces. It was a pleasant surprise to find that F-7 in ACL.

M1FredQ

I"ll be back there the middle of next month for my last winter conference

I'll report on what I see or find.

M1FredQ

By the way

Anyone know when those F-7's were produced and which passenger cars

match up with them??

Would the Lionel Aluminum ones match up?

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

From my limited Pre-WBB Williams catalog collection:

The Winter 2003 - 2004 Williams Contemporary Line Catalog shows F7s on page 15, where it states:

"Match your F7 with Williams 60' (aluminum) Luxury Liners."

The ACL livery is F7-101.

The F7s also appear in the August 2003 folded poster sales flyer.

E7s in ACL livery (E7-200) look good, too, if you have the room...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on December 08, 2012, 04:23:05 PM
Lee

Sounds like you know the area!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just changed names same owner now its "Maniac's"!!

My poor credit card was almost in meltdown but since I used points for my plane tickets

I figured it was a nice trade off. I have been in there before and it's sad the train section

is being reduced. Many of the items on sale are at the "cost" to the store price and

being the barter I am they will knock a little more off if you are buying a couple other

pieces. It was a pleasant surprise to find that F-7 in ACL.
Fred,

I didn't know they had changed names, heard that the son now runs the store instead of his dad who retired a few months ago.
btw sent you an email.

Lee F.

phillyreading

About the E-7 verse the F-7 in size in real world the E-7 was a little taller if I am correct, so in the model train world it might look out of place with passenger cars to use wth the F-7.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Set the F-7's on the the tracks and they ran well right out of the box!!!!!!!!!

My only gripe with WBB are the low dim lit bulbs. Any ideas??

I assume these are all "bayonet" style bulbs. Any LED's that are compatible??

Hopefully shine brighter using less wattage.

Thank You all for always helping out.!!!!!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Sorry if you've heard this before......

To increase lamp brightness and gain better low speed control, change motor wiring from (stock) parallel to series.....

Pull the pin with the blue wire from the front (4-pin) motor connector,

pull the pin with the yellow wire from the rear (4-pin) motor connector.  *

Wrap the two pins together with bare wire and cover with electrical tape,

or  slip a 1" chunk of shrink tube over before wrapping with wire.  

Scrap cat 5 or telephone wire would work well.  (Solid 24? gauge.)

You could make a reflector out of aluminum foil and mount it behind the lamp...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

*There is a tiny tab on the back of the pin that will release the pin from its connector if it is depressed with a bent paper clip.

Edit: Added *, changed "hobby knife" to "bent paper clip".
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

M1FredQ

Thanks Joe

Your instructions are easy to follow and I will do it over the next couple weeks. I'm taking Christmas week off to be with family so it will probably get done then.

If I have questions during the process I'll post them on this forum

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M1FredQ

Dear Joe

When you say F7-101 match up are they the item no43060 in the 2012

catalog under 60' Aluminum Luxury Liners? For the ACL ????

Would the Lionel Aluminum ACL's match?? I have a feeling the darker purple

Lionel uses won't match. From my model airplane building days I remember how

imprtant it was to match "shades" of colors to scale. From some color photos I have

seen Lionel may have the color right in actual scale but WBB seems to have captured

the color to scale. I like both shades but I have seen more pictures of the Aluminum

ribbed with the purple stripe on top(Lionel's version) than I have with WBB.

Any help or thoughts ????

Joe Satnik

Dear Fred,

Sorry about the confusion. 

The item numbers are from old Williams catalogs from when Jerry Williams owned Williams Electric Trains.   

2003 W.E.T.       2010 W.B.B.  Description

F7-101              20702         ACL F7 PWD A/DMY A

F7-101B (?)       20802         ACL F7B DMY B

LL-1009             43060        ACL 60 ft. Aluminum Luxury Liner 4 car set
                                           Baggage, Coach, Vista-Dome, Observation

LL-1009CD (?)   43010         ACL 60 ft. Aluminum Luxury Liner 2 car add-on set
                                            Combine, Diner

More catalog matches if you want....

By the way, "Luxury Lines" is a Williams/WBB road name.

"Luxury Liner" is a Williams/WBB 60 ft. aluminum passenger car offered in a large variety of road names and liveries...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

M1FredQ