News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO Scale metal wheel size - Help!!!

Started by dave1516gill, December 09, 2012, 07:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave1516gill

Hi everyone,

I recently posted regarding metal wheels, ie if they are better than plastic. Anyhow, I need to purchase some metal wheels for the coaches in my Santa Special HO gauge train set 00707, but I don't have a clue what size to order. I thought HO gauge was just all the same size, but apparantly not. Would anyone be able to let me know what size to order and the product code.
Many thanks,
David

Doneldon

dave-

Things in HO are all the same size, as long as the original, full-size items are the same size. However, when the real (the actual word
for it is prototype) items are different sizes the models must be different sizes as well. That said, the answer to your question is that
you need scale 36" wheels for your passenger cars. Those wheels will be the same distance apart (gauge) as are all of the rest of the wheels
on your HO trains, even if the diameters vary. By and large, it's fair to say that most freight cars have 33" wheels and most passenger
cars have 36" wheels. However, specialty cars sometimes have different sizes of wheels and there is a general trend for more recent
railroad cars to have somewhat larger wheels, reflecting the greater loads carried by modern railcars compared to older rolling stock.

-- D

dave1516gill

Hi Doneldon,

Thanks for your advice. It's a great help. Hopefully I'll get this dam train to work smoothly....

Many Thanks,
David

Doneldon

Dave-

I'm sure you will. Don't be discouraged at first. You'll find that this
stuff is second nature after you mess with it for a few weeks.

-- D

sd24b

Quote from: dave1516gill on December 09, 2012, 07:13:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently posted regarding metal wheels, ie if they are better than plastic. Anyhow, I need to purchase some metal wheels for the coaches in my Santa Special HO gauge train set 00707, but I don't have a clue what size to order. I thought HO gauge was just all the same size, but apparantly not. Would anyone be able to let me know what size to order and the product code.
Many thanks,
David
a word of caution, though.  some passenger trucks wont accept 36" wheels happily.  you may find 33" will work better.  Phil

electrical whiz kid

Most of my rolling stock now has Kedee wheelsets.  My procedure is to clean out the journals to accept the wheel ends, lube using graphite which will work itself into the irregularities in the point area, then insert the axle; and once all of the wheelsets are installed, check the truck for ease of rolling.  Once the trucks are installed and the car is on the test track, I use a square, and check how the car is standing.  I am finding out just how important trackwork and good trucks are.  High standards in this area is really paramount.
Rich C.

ebtnut

One thing to be aware of - different wheelsets from different suppliers may have different axle lengths.  You may need to test a wheeset in your particular truck and make sure it is free-rolling.  If the axle is too long, it will bind; too short and it may just fall out.  If your passenger cars are from the same manufacturer, then what ever wheelset fits one truck should fit in them all. 

Here's a bit of shorthand for trucks and wheels:  Steam-era freight cars almost universally used 33" wheels; passenger equipment used 36" wheels.

Modern era:  Many frieght cars still use 33" wheels; some Hi-cube cars use smaller wheels for clearance purposes; heavy-load cars, like 100-ton coal hoppers or grain covered hoppers, use 36" wheels.  I believe most passenger stock still use 36" wheels as well. 

jward

i would suggest using wheels of the same brand as the cars you are installing them on, if possible. your chances of having the proper axle length for free roling trucks is so much greater if you do this. in your case, i'd use bachmann 33" wheells for freight cars and cabooses, 36" for passenger cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

sd24b

Quote from: dave1516gill on December 09, 2012, 07:13:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Many thanks,
David
sometimes going from a 33" to a 36" will change your coupler height also  phil

Doneldon

Going from 33" to 36" will always change your coupler height,
but not so much that it can't be easily corrected. Just don't
ignore this.

ebtnut

Going from 33" to 36" wheels will raise the coupler height by a scale 1 1/2", or about 1/200".  Should be trivial unless there is already a serious coupler mismatch.

Doneldon

Quote from: ebtnut on December 13, 2012, 04:48:13 PM
Going from 33" to 36" wheels will raise the coupler height by a scale 1 1/2", or about 1/200".  Should be trivial unless there is already a serious coupler mismatch.

ebt-

Actually, it's about 17/1000 of an inch or about 1/60 of an inch. That is enough to cause a problem unless everything else about the coupler, and
every coupler with which it couples, is flawless. But, as I said, it's easily corrected. NB: Kadee wouldn't sell the microscopically thin washers if exact
measurement weren't needed.

-- D

richg

Get yourself a dial caliper. With a calculator, convert the reading to full scale my multiplying by 87 for HO scale.
Divide a full scale number by 87 to get the HO scale size.

I have this one.

http://www.micromark.com/digital-caliper-with-standard-numerals-6-inch-capacity,8094.html

For many years I used a cheap one with no dial. Numbers in Metric and USA.
I did some re-motoring and re-gearing with the below.

http://www.micromark.com/economical-vernier-caliper-5-inch-capacity,6473.html

Rich