Board size needed for a figure 8 layout for HO train set- L"+W"

Started by Patsfan2012, December 11, 2012, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patsfan2012

What is the board size needed to fit figure a figure 8 layout for a HO train set- & what extra tracks are needed beyond the tracks that come with a set? I think the tracks that come with the set make a 36" circle from Steel EZ set tracks.
Thanks in advance!
???

Joe Satnik

Dear PF,

Download (free for first 50 pieces) Anyrail.com and learn to use it (pretty easy and fun).

You can import all these pieces and see how well they fit before buying. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

You can also do a figure 8 with over and under at the crossing, the grades can be an issue depending on the locomotive and train length.

NM-Jeff

jward

an over and under figure 8 can easily be accomplished with under 4% grades. add a couple straights in the figure 8 and you can get the grade down to between 2 1/2 % and 3%....

not sure which set you have, but from my experience, the 0-6-0 steamer will haul 3 cars on a 4% grade, the ft and gp40 diesels found in other sets will pull 5 or more. i don't have an f7, but its performance should be similar to the other diesels.

for those not familiar with grades, they are expressed as a percentage of rise to run. thus a 4% grade irises 4 inches for every 100 inches. this works out to about 3/8" rise per section of track. 3% is 1/4" per section rise. you will need to rise and fall at least 3" for an over and under crossing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA